Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi forum

Hello there, I'm Sebastian and shortly I will be purchasing my first pentax DSLR camera.
I'm doing my MSc in Astronomy in Canada and with a trip to the desert in the following months I've decided it is
time to get into the DSLR arena. Looking for high ISO, low noise, a lot of features..and dark skies!
Looking for the right step to take. I've read a lot about the K5, it seems a great camera and it has dropped
to a very very interesting price. But since the K5iis is around,..should I pay the extra money?
Hopefully you will see me around here quite often.
cheers,
sebastian

02-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I think the K-5 II.s is a good choice and worth getting, but then I'm biased.
02-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be tempted by the K5IIs as well...
One thing to look for is the GPS module if you're not mounting the camera to a good telescope.

There are a couple of very good astrophotography threads in the forums, you should look at those if you haven't found them yet.

I wonder how the K-01 would work on a telescope, since it's mirrorless to start with.
02-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all!
Yes, I started reading some astrophotography post, with very impressive images for the K-5iis. Thanks TER-OR for mentioning the GPS module!
I'm waiting to see if the K-5iis would get any cheaper, maybe after nikon releases the D7100. To get a K5 iis plus a lens would be a direct hit
to my bank account, thinking ~1500$. Any thoughts about lenses? I've read about the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Di macro, a cheap one. The tamron 200mm @400$
it quite better I think.
Also it would be nice to compare both cameras (D7100) since they would be on a similar price range.
cheers

02-28-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, leave some money over, for a decent tripod for all those desert skies.
02-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbruzzone Quote
Thank you all!
Yes, I started reading some astrophotography post, with very impressive images for the K-5iis. Thanks TER-OR for mentioning the GPS module!
I'm waiting to see if the K-5iis would get any cheaper, maybe after nikon releases the D7100. To get a K5 iis plus a lens would be a direct hit
to my bank account, thinking ~1500$. Any thoughts about lenses? I've read about the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Di macro, a cheap one. The tamron 200mm @400$
it quite better I think.
Also it would be nice to compare both cameras (D7100) since they would be on a similar price range.
cheers

I would skip the Tamron 70-300. It was OK on my K-10, it focuses accurately and quickly but suffers from Chromatic Abberations - purple fringing which seemed even worse on the K-5. I saved up for a used 55-300 at roughly $300 and is so much better.
It's a tough time waiting for the prices to drop. I did so with the K-5, waiting until the body hit around $1100. My wife wasn't thrilled with the expense, but she enjoys the pictures. Now some additional unplanned expenses I hope we can get past by the time the K-3 is released and drops a little. Particularly if there is a K-3s for my macro insect photography.
02-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks kerrowdown, yes one more thing to add the wish list. For those interested in insect photography, I've found this guy that took amazing pictures of several insects, including jumping spiders. I've found his work on a National Geographic Magazine a couple years ago, maybe you are well aware of his work,
Thomas Shahan - YouTube
He uses inverted lenses...with amazing results.
Yes I don't think the price would drop below 1000$, not for the current year at least.
I'll read about the 55-300!
cheers!
02-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember the Marketplace here. You can enter keywords like "55-300" and you'll get a feel for what used copies sell for. You'll get emails when one shows up.

02-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum and it looks like you're already getting some good advice ... J