Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
New to photography

I've been using a Panazonic F40 superzoom but after seeing the increase in clarity and overall image quality that some of our friends & family get with their DSLR even just in automatic mode I really want to upgrade.

Anyway, I'm scheduled to visit the camera store tomorrow with a photographer friend of mine and I'm currently leaning towards the Pentax K-30. Other models in the running are the Canon T4i/EOS650D and Sony A57.

I'll be using it to photograph our 2 year old son, plus I'm also interested in taking pictures of frogs, insects, fish (including koi), classic cars, and various other things.

Right now I'm kind of torn between the $619 (wife-friendly) package with the 18-55mm lens but that feels rather limiting to me and the 18-135mm WR package but then you're up around $1000 which is quite a jump. Body-only is not really any savings over the 18-55 so that doesn't seem like a good option, plus what would you add to it anyway? I feel like I should stretch to the 18-135 or else the 18-55 will be a wasted purchase when I replace it later and I'm guessing they don't sell well secondhand since everyone who wants one would probably already have it.

02-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! For more advice on kit choices, I'd suggest starting a new thread in the K-30 forum.

The kit lens can be sold for around $50, which after shipping, fees, etc. really isn't much. The 18-135mm is a nice upgrade (plus, it's weather sealed), and has a value of about $450. Personally I'm a pretty big fan of the 18-135mm, as it's a good all-in-one lens for users who just want to stick to a single lens. Plus, it's got silent AF, unlike the 18-55mm, which is also something to consider.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums
For what you mentioned the 18-55 should work fine. Does depend on the insects you choose tho.
I am saving towards the 18-135WR . I want at least one WR lens. I bought body only, since I have been shooting Pentax for over 30 years and have plenty of lenses to use, including a DA 18-55.
02-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, remember there's some fast primes out there, cheaper too (keeps the CO happier) if you can live with manual focus.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-27-2013 at 06:26 AM.
02-27-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, remember there's some fast primes out there, cheaper too (keeps the CO happier) if you live with manual focus.
I agree ... Get a 18-55 WR so that your K-30 can go anywhere ...Learn with it for a while and then plunge into the wonderful world of Pentax legacy glass (K-mount & M42) ... fast primes and some super zooms as well. Good luck and bonjour from France - J
02-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome and advice. I'll look and see if there are any good deals for body + 18-55mm WR as well. Our trip to the camera store to try them out in person has had to be postponed though - I've come down a bit sick today. So, maybe on the weekend or next week instead.
03-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #7

Original Poster
I ended up going back to Wolf Camera on Saturday but they would not honor the price quote I had from before (+$200 now) so I went home and ordered from Amazon instead. Sorry, I *tried* to support you, local store...

Anyway, I got the package w/ the 18-135mm WR lens intending that a lot of the time I can carry only this lens and not have to swap. Coming up, I'd like to get a couple of cheap legacy primes and eventually a longer zoom but that can wait a while. Oh yeah, and also probably pick up either LightRoom or Aperture.
03-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
I ended up going back to Wolf Camera on Saturday but they would not honor the price quote I had from before (+$200 now) so I went home and ordered from Amazon instead. Sorry, I *tried* to support you, local store...

Anyway, I got the package w/ the 18-135mm WR lens intending that a lot of the time I can carry only this lens and not have to swap. Coming up, I'd like to get a couple of cheap legacy primes and eventually a longer zoom but that can wait a while. Oh yeah, and also probably pick up either LightRoom or Aperture.
Congrats on the gear ... enjoy it well - J

03-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll like the combination. And I hope you enjoy learning how flexible and powerful these DSLRs are.