Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #1

Canadian guy buys wife K-X

So like the title syas, I bought the wife a K-X for her birthday over a year ago. I still know very little about photography or the k-x...my wife uses it every now and again, and although she too does not know too much about photography, she has taken some awesome shots with this camera. Our friends are amazed at the pics of our kids, think they are from a magazine. She doesn't know the ins and outs of the camera, what each function does, the differences of the ISO settings and such, but it amazes me at the quality of the pics.

One thing we have noticed is that it is difficult to go to a camera store and find pentax related stuff. Canon and Nikon...tons. I see lots of lenses and stuff on the internet, but it would be nice to go to a store and talk to someone live.

We have the standard lens that came with the camera, and we got one of the 50-200mm pentax lenses. A few things I would like are a Macro type lens, after looking at some of the insect photos on here I would like to try that, and a bit bigger zoom., we just feel we can't zoom close enough to take up close animal pics like at the zoo. Any suggestions? We don't want to spend a lot as we are learning...definately under $100 for each. Also, when looking at e-bay or kijiji, what mount do you look for?

02-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, if you look under the Lens section of the forum it may give you an indication of what to look for.
02-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

On eBay, I would suggest clicking this:
Lenses in Brand:Bower|Lensbaby|Pentax|Quantaray|Schneider|Sigma|Tamron|Tokina|Voigtlander|Zeiss, Camera Type:SLR, Compatible Brand:For Pentax | eBay

That is the page of lenses filtered to be Pentax mount, SLR type, from most of the manufacturers of Pentax lenses that you can browse from. From that page, you can select additional filter options to choose the type/price lens you want to narrow it down to.

For your question - I would suggest you look for a DA L 55-300 lens for zoo pictures. It gives you 1.5x more zoom vs your 50-200 lens. It also performs quite well in image quality. Alternatively, if you find the DA L 55-300 too expensive, you could try searching for a FA 100-300 F4.7-5.6. For insect/macro photography, please look at reviews of the Tamron 90mm F2.8, the Sigma 105mm F2.8, the Pentax DFA 100 F2.8, or the Sigma 50 F2.8 macro lenses. You can find them in the Lens section. I am more than willing to provide advice as I have had the Tamron 90, and I have the Sigma 50, and I played with the DFA 100.

If you have specific questions regarding the k-x, I am more than willing to answer questions or provide tips as I am a k-x user. I find the k-x to be a very good workhorse in the DSLR community, even if it lacks some of the features that other brands (or even the k-r) has.
02-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, your a generous man, hope all the other wives don't see this thread otherwise they gonna want Pentax cameras too.

02-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

London Drugs carries Pentax stuff - or at least it does here in Saskatchewan.
02-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gooberman Quote
We have the standard lens that came with the camera, and we got one of the 50-200mm pentax lenses. A few things I would like are a Macro type lens, after looking at some of the insect photos on here I would like to try that, and a bit bigger zoom., we just feel we can't zoom close enough to take up close animal pics like at the zoo. Any suggestions? We don't want to spend a lot as we are learning...definately under $100 for each. Also, when looking at e-bay or kijiji, what mount do you look for?
If you want to go macro, then at some stage you will need to get comfortable with manual focusing. If that doesn't scare you off, you can start buying all sorts of inexpensive legacy glass (K/M/A) type lenses (more on what this means later on, can't type much now as a little on is helping me with this). If you want to stay with autofocus only, it will get more expensive. Best thing you can both do is shoot more in a controlled way. Take a similar photo many times while tweaking the ISO/aperture/shutter speed and then compare how the images come out, for example.
02-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter

If you are interested in macro photography, these links should be of interest.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html

Inexpensive Macro Photography

Tim
02-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a canadian guy and I once I bought my wife a K-x. Then I bought myself a Tamron 90 macro lens. It got to be real hard to get it away from my wife. Then I bought myself a K-5. Then it got to be real hard to get that away from my wife.

Now I have another K-5 for me, and a Sigma 70 macro , so I have a macro lens when I want one, because we always want it at the same time.

This getting a K-x for your wife thing can prove to be real expensive.

02-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gooberman Quote
She doesn't know the ins and outs of the camera, what each function does, the differences of the ISO settings and such,
If that is true, before you buy any more lenses, it maybe good to be familiar with how to maximize what your camera controls can do to take better pics. That is the point of buying a dslr than a point and shoot.

Most libraries have this book, but its worth buying:

Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books

Most places will have community colleges or other places which would offer a photography class for beginners. I would do that too.

After that you will get a better idea of what lenses to even purchase.

Have fun with the camera! And welcome to the forum.
02-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome and all of the great information! Looks like we have a lot of reading to do and a lot of pictures to take!