Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #1

From Canon to Pentax

Hi fellow Pentaxians,
I'm new to this site but I guess I'm one of the few who's jumped ship TO Pentax for image quality reasons.
Despite all the doom and gloom about no FF (yet) I sold all my Canon gear (60D and 4 lenses) so I could buy a K-5.
I really don't care what size the sensor is, I just want great image quality (low noise) at low ISO and for long exposures.
The 16MP sony chip in the K5 is far better for my needs than the 60D's and is equal too or even better (according to DxOmark) than any of Canon's full frame cameras.
Anyway, I'm really happy with the K-5, just wish it had a swiveling screen for low down shooting on a tripod.
I'm still trying to find all the lenses I'd like, having just sold the Sigma 150-500 (too big and heavy, IQ at 500 not great, probably don't need 500mm) and waiting for a DA 55-300 and Samyang 8mm to arrive.
Cheers,
Andrew from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

02-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hear you about the swivel screen. After dropping the K-5 a couple times - once which cracked my screen protector - I kind of prefer no swivel screen....
I need to experiment with tethering or at least video output for astrophotraphy.

You're going to like the 55-300, it's portable and reliable. I would like to play with that 150-500 along the river, though, I'd get some great shots of the ducks and eagles.
02-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, your one of the few coming this way from the dark side.