Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New K200D user onboard!

Hello pentax community, I am a new Pentax K200D user, which switched from K100D (bought 2006) to this new gear.
After using my beginners cameras Pentax LX and the stepping 2006 into digital world with the K100D, the K200D was always my dream of a camera replacing the K100D, because of the ability to mount the battery grip as an extra to hold and additional battery reservoir.

After searching for it during the last two years I could make my bargain at ebay Germany to auction a complete nearly new condition camera + 2 lens kit and BG-3 together for a really snappy price.

So I sold my used but in nearly same condition stuff of K100D with two kit lenses 18-55mm (one for use, one for backup) and got so much money back that I had only to put around 80 € on top to get my K200D with 18-55mm, 50-200mm lenses and the BG-3 together all boxed in original cases.

When the weather will become a little more bright and sunny in Munich I will take my first intensive round for taking pictures with my new gear.

Still have much lenses from my Pentax LX period in my storage and I will test them all with my new body. Later I will load up the best results out of this test round then.

Would be nice to hear from Pentax users around the world and especially from them out of Munich (Bavaria).

Regards to all from Olaf

02-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, the LX is some beginners camera.... IMHO it was one of Pentax's finest.

I still have a couple and I can't bare to part with them, even though they don't get that much use these days.
02-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #3

Congratulations on your new purchase and best of luck to you! I am looking to purchase my first Pentax DSLR soon and may look into the K200D route now. Thanks for posting your new buy!
02-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by whiteheadfamily2415 Quote
Congratulations on your new purchase and best of luck to you! I am looking to purchase my first Pentax DSLR soon and may look into the K200D route now. Thanks for posting your new buy!
Hi whiteheadfamily2415, thanx for the warm welcome at the pentaxforum here, I think your decision will be quite right to keep another K200D alive and on the road again! Its worth to use the not really uptodate version of pentax dslr camera, because it is rock solid, weather proof and long lasting taking pictures due to its low power consumption and last but not least I really love the flexibility of that camera system. You can ad an additional battery grip, use old or new lenses in every price level which you can afford, use it as a studio gear with a separate power supply etc. nearly perfect.
But you should update to the latest firmware version 1.01! Some SD-cards are not so compatible with it but this is solved if you could format the card once and then if you still get an error message "Problem with SD-card found" or something like that, you have just to reinsert the card again and then it works.
What I miss a little bit with pentax dslr cameras, the older ones like K100D, K10D, K200D, K20D and so on, is that they do not care for any further firmware updates any more, and thats what I expect from a traditional manufacturer like pentax or asahi pentax is !!!
We in Germany call this "product care" and our clients here are used to get this for min. ten years of product life.
Perhaps we can find some more users of pentax gear and write a petition to pentax for a better software / firmware care, wouldn´t that be a real improvement??
Good luck so far for finding your new camera gear.

02-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by opimuc Quote
Hi whiteheadfamily2415, thanx for the warm welcome at the pentaxforum here, I think your decision will be quite right to keep another K200D alive and on the road again! Its worth to use the not really uptodate version of pentax dslr camera, because it is rock solid, weather proof and long lasting taking pictures due to its low power consumption and last but not least I really love the flexibility of that camera system. You can ad an additional battery grip, use old or new lenses in every price level which you can afford, use it as a studio gear with a separate power supply etc. nearly perfect.
But you should update to the latest firmware version 1.01! Some SD-cards are not so compatible with it but this is solved if you could format the card once and then if you still get an error message "Problem with SD-card found" or something like that, you have just to reinsert the card again and then it works.
What I miss a little bit with pentax dslr cameras, the older ones like K100D, K10D, K200D, K20D and so on, is that they do not care for any further firmware updates any more, and thats what I expect from a traditional manufacturer like pentax or asahi pentax is !!!
We in Germany call this "product care" and our clients here are used to get this for min. ten years of product life.
Perhaps we can find some more users of pentax gear and write a petition to pentax for a better software / firmware care, wouldn´t that be a real improvement??
Good luck so far for finding your new camera gear.
Pentax probably feels that it only needs to release firmware to provide the originally intended functionality of the camera, or possibly to provide compatibility with a key new technology that became available shortly after its introduction (SDHC for the K100, for example.) Are you aware of other DSLR manufacturers that take a different approach?

Paul