Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #1

A delayed introduction...

I actually joined here a few years ago when I purchased a K-r. At that time, I had planned on selling off all my Sony gear (A700 + lenses) and moving over to Pentax. However, I ran into issues with the K-r, returned it, and sold most of my Sony gear anyway. Money was tight, so I saw the failure of the K-r as a sign to hold onto my money for a bit. I got through 2011 by borrowing cameras from friends and then in 2012 I graduated with my environmental engineering degree, got a job, and could afford to get back into photography again. However, months before graduating, my long-time girlfriend left me high and dry. So, in the interest of healthy distractions, I decided to purchase a Sony a55 with their 18-250mm. The plan was to jump straight into the thing that used to make me happy- photography. However, between being less-than-enthused with the electronic viewfinder of the a55 and finding it difficult to stay motivated to do photography while battling depression, I had spent most of 2012 with both my a55 and nice lens practically unused.

However, 2012 is behind me, and in the progression of battling depression and moving on, I've started to become less apathetic toward photography again, day by day. On the good days, however, I still missed having a camera with a pentaprism viewfinder like on my old Sony A700. Even though my desire for photography was slowly returning, my desire to use the a55's EVF was not.

So, I've once again taken the Pentax plunge. Seeing no future for OVFs in the Sony road map, I decided to purchase a K-30 + 18-55mm kit lens during Samy's $600 deal. It was the most affordable way for me to get back to a camera with a pentaprism viewfinder, and I've always had a crush on Pentax the underdog. I also bought a cheapo Pentax-M 50mm 1:2, which I just took apart, re-lubricated, and reconstructed last night... after searching for an hour around my thick carpet for two tiny screws I dropped while reattaching the focus ring. I also got some other goodies, such as the Pentax weatherproof remote, the battery adapter, 8 Sanyo Eneloops, and a T-Mount adapter so I can hook up my K-30 to Cincinnati Astronomical Society's telescopes! It is my first foray into astrophotography.

So now I'm getting ready mentally, emotionally, and from a gear standpoint, to get shooting. Winter is ending and heading into spring. I've got a K-30 that I've just started using and falling in love with. How awesome is the focus peeking ability when using a freshly lubricated vintage lens, even if the lens isn't such a great one, optically? Very satisfying. Now I just need to learn how to use the damn CIF function. And I need to get more Pentax glass. Manual focus doesn't scare me as much, anymore.

Hopefully finally being united with a camera that I enjoy, the change to spring, and being dedicated to taking shots and posting them here will help renew my love for photography. Now I just need to be rid of my Sony a55 and lens so I can put that money to good use on Pentax gear. Perhaps buying the highly-tempting K-01 + 40mm XS through Adorama via a PentaxForums link and therefore receiving Pentax Marketplace access will be the best way to rid myself of the Sony gear. Then, I can move full steam ahead with Pentax, and hopefully back to photography on a regular basis!

Sorry for the TMI in parts of my introduction. I just wanted to give a bit of my back story, as it shows how our personal lives, and struggles, can affect our photography.

My first Pentax keeper, though not a great one, is a memorable one. It was cold, cloudy, and windy, and I forgot my remote release. This all adds up for a very mediocre shot of the moon:

02-28-2013, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, that's some intro, but hey, it's way more interesting read that the standard hello intro.

I feel I've known you for years.
02-28-2013, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard. I visited the CAS in December with my nephew and his daughter. Nice facility there!