Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back to Pentax Forum

Hi all... I am thinking about upgrading my K7 to a K5 or should I get the K5ll. Any users of the K5ll or K5 want to help with some sage advice please don't hesitate to comment.
Best,
J Marin

03-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter

If funds permit, the upgrade to the K-5II seems logical. Especially when you expect to use the improved low light focus abilities of the K-5II. One also expects that the faults of het K-5 like the lens button dropping off would be ironed out of a newer model. My K-5 still is going strong by the way...
03-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, this is the worst place to be asking how to spend money.
03-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonfmarin Quote
Hi all... I am thinking about upgrading my K7 to a K5 or should I get the K5ll. Any users of the K5ll or K5 want to help with some sage advice please don't hesitate to comment.
Best,
J Marin
Well you asked for sage advice so not sure I should reply...
Here is my not so sage experience.
The move from K-7 to K-5 for me was a huge leap in IQ because even in decent light I found that the K-7 would show noise in the shadows, where the K-5 totally cleaned all of this up and I could shoot at much higher ISO all around.

Currently K-5's are cheap if you can find them so it makes sense from a price perspective and you will see a huge jump in IQ.

The K-5II and S versions will cost more but have addressed some of the low light focus issues that Pentax has had so they may be a good investment.

If you are prepared to spend on a K-5II and are not in a hurry then it may make sense to wait a little longer and see what new APSc offering Pentax rolls out this year, as has been rumoured.
This next camera I assume would incorporate all of the improvements to date and some more improvements we don't know about yet.

03-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
...The move from K-7 to K-5 for me was a huge leap in IQ because even in decent light I found that the K-7 would show noise in the shadows, where the K-5 totally cleaned all of this up and I could shoot at much higher ISO all around. ...
Bonjour,

Agreed. I also went from K-7 to a K-5 and there was a big difference due to the Sony sensor ... whether to buy which one and at how much is difficult.

I have had my K-5 for a year and a half and I am quite happy with it and plan to keep a while. My B&M local shop threw in a four year warranty, so I think that I going to put this K-5 to a longevity test ... also hanging on to see what FF offering will be in the near (and not so near) future.

Allez et salut, John le Frog
03-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
K7 to K5

Thanks for the input. My problem with waiting for the full frame DSLR is that I have been waiting for Pentax to create a full frame DSLR for about 3 Years. I just don't believe they will do it. Pentax makes great stuff but it always seems they are a day late and a dollar short. I love my K7 for the build quality and ergonomics... but lets face it .. there are better builds out there for not much more money. I just don't want to go and re invest in glass.
I think I will purchase the K5ll and if the Full Frame comes and the price and performance specs are right... I will bite that bullet too. I just wish Pentax would take an enthusiasm pill and get it in gear.