Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #1

Hello, from the UK

Hi,

Just joined having been bought a K-01 by my wife (lovely woman!). I had wondered about getting a K5 for a while and the low price of the K-01made it unmissable - went for the white version, which is very reminisent of 'Licorice allsorts'. I got it with the 40mm lens (a currious FL, but so small, I thought it would be good to leave on for traveling) as I heard the kit lenses weren't great and I thought I would get a Simga 18-250 instead (just ordered the older version). Does anyone know if I used the image stabalisation on the camera and the lens, would it make the image more steady or would they interfere with each other?

Already brought it a few toys - 50mm lens and 35-70mm lens. I particualry love the look of it with the 50mm on as a funky fusion of old and new. I have also ordered a reversing ring for those two lenses - any sugestions on do's and don'ts for this type of macro would be much appreciated. Finally, I have bought a lens shade, not that I need that in the UK! I had heard its better to fit it without the screen protector and wondered if anyone had any thoughts about that.

Cheers,

Whitebeard

03-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour Whitebread,

Welcome to PF and congrats on the new gear. From what I have read and gleaned, it's best to use one or other ... either the SR of the K-01 or the system in the lens, ie Sigma, Tamron, etc. What exactly are the other lens, the 50 & 35-70?

Post us some image soon and again welcome aboard - J
03-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I thought that your forum name was describing myself.

I've not had a full set for a number of years, decided to put one on over Christmas and got somebody else's beard, mine was never that colour before.

As for shades/hood, all my lenses have them on all the time, for both protection and for the optical improvements they make.
03-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour Whitebread,

Welcome to PF and congrats on the new gear. From what I have read and gleaned, it's best to use one or other ... either the SR of the K-01 or the system in the lens, ie Sigma, Tamron, etc. What exactly are the other lens, the 50 & 35-70?

Hi Kerrowdown,

Had my first white hair at 7 so it was fairly inevitable!

That's a lovely part of the world you live in - I once did the West Highland Way, but before I had a camera, which was a shame as its a stunning walk.

I agree about the lens hoods, but I was talking about a hood for the screen, as the K-01 lacks a view finder.

I was interested to see the range of lenses you have, particualalry the Pentax -A 15mm - would you recomend it?

Cheers,

Whitebeard.

03-05-2013, 02:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour Whitebread,

Bonjour Jean,

Sorry, I thought I had replied to you, but clearly I did something wrong - bring back the carrier pidgeon!

Thanks for the advice re the image stabilisation.

I have a Pentax-A 50mm and a not so pretty but lighter Pentax-F 35-70mm.

Cheers,

Whitebeard
03-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Whitebeard Quote
Pentax -A 15mm - would you recommend it?
If I said to you that I'm currently having an illicit affair with my SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, would that say enough.

Here is the link for reviews of mine and other folk about this lens, SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I'm actually on the route of the Great Glen Way, which pass below the bottom field from me, it's 79 miles Fort William to Inverness, if you suddenly get another walking notion.

QuoteOriginally posted by Whitebeard Quote
I was talking about a hood for the screen
Opps, missed the plot totally on that one. I'll fess up to knowing nothing at all about screen hoods.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-05-2013 at 07:42 AM.
03-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #7

Original Poster
That clinches it, I'll buy one!

I really miss the walking in Scotland, but foolishly moved to the south coast - the Downs whilst lovely aren't quite the same.

Cheers,

Whitebeard