Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #1

Greets from Pacific NW...lots of trees to take pics of!

Hey all, I'm Kjell and I'm from Eugene, OR.....new to Pentax and new to DSLR, have wore out my P&S.
Jumped in the deep end and picked up a K-5 and look forward to shooting in my spare time. Went with the K-5 because it was a smokin deal in my price range, and I wanted something that will last me for a long time, also, it should hold my interest (in terms of learning the bells and whistles)
Hoping to get a good feel and understanding of my camera before heading to the Midwest in June for a 2 week storm chase.
Lenses are basic kit stuff 18-55 WR/55-200 WR any ideas for an affordable lens for landscapes?? Macro??

Thanks for a great forum.
Kjell

03-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
welcome to the forum! I was in Eugene last week for biz... hung out at Alton Baker for a few minutes eating a sandwich

The 18-55 will do landscapes pretty well though you might want to stop down a bit - maybe around f5.6 or so (put your cam in AV mode and turn the back dial). If you are in a dark area, you'll probably want a tripod so you can keep the iso as low as you can so you have less grain and higher resolution. Make sure you use the 2 second timer to reduce camera shake... If you want a higher quality and wider lens for landscapes, I think I've seen a couple used Sigma 10-20 on the forum marketplace for under $400 recently. If you have the dough, the Sigma 8-16 is very good as is the Pentax 12-24.

For macros, the Pentax DFA 100 2.8 wr is awesome, but if you want to save a bit of $, the tamron 90 2.8 and Sigma 70 2.8 or Sigma 105 2.8 are also very good. In fact, I'll be selling my 105 2.8 pretty soon - I might even be able to meet you down in Eugene in a few weeks if you'd like to see it in person first...

Storm chasing, huh? Sounds pretty exciting as long as the weather cooperates!

Good luck w/ the camera - it's a great hobby, but it does take time to learn.
03-11-2013, 03:22 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Depends on your budget but if at the very bottom end like me - for landscape shoot the 18-55 at 30mm+ (vertical) and stitch, for excellent quality. For macro get some extension tubes and an M, K or A-series lens (although the 18-55 focuses pretty close at 55). I also got a Samyang 14mm/2.8 which is excellent for the price. I don't like ultra-wide landscapes (I got it for urban work) but if that's what you're after it would be good bang for buck.
03-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, be sure to post those incredible lightening shots.