Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2013, 07:40 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Hello from Detroit Michigan USA (purchase decison factors)

Hello,

Like many others… I am new to both Pentax and the DSLR world. My move was prompted by several factors:
- Closing of yet another professional film processing lab that I had been using.
- A life situation that’s prevented me from practicing photography as I would prefer (for past 5 and at least next 5 years).
- Strong suggestion from my fiancée who was wise enough to recognize reality when I didn’t.

The acquisition of a DSLR means that I should be able to return back to a more hobby-like level of activity, which is something that I’ve felt I could not afford to enjoy for quite sometime. Since I was not previously invested in any particular AF lens or DSLR system I took a serious and educated look at all of the APS-C and Micro 4/3rds options and recognized that I should set the D7000 as the default baseline (2012.01). However as I continued to research and weigh my conclusion, I began to realize that my personal preference was increasing towards the Pentax.

My final decision to purchase Pentax and the K-5 early 2012 was based on these key characteristics:
1) Excellent dynamic range and image quality performance resulting from the custom chip tuning applied by Pentax.
2) Consistent reports of ease and pleasure in use due to a photography logical layout of functional controls and form factor.
3) Evidence suggesting more consistent accuracy in AF performance than the ‘faster’ competition.
4) Greater confidence in quality of weather sealing.
5) Images observed across the web.

Interestingly-
Item 5 originated as the last of my weighted priorities, however in the end it actually became my number one motivator for continually returning to and ultimately selecting Pentax. While scrolling through endless web image banks I paid close attention to which particular brands and lens models most consistently produce images with qualities that caught my eye. And in particular, those that stood out as having something unique or special in their rendering. Naturally there are thousands of excellent images produced by all brands and many lenses. However, there are rare and infrequent occasions where an image will render subtle but visible qualities that make it standout from the norm of the otherwise excellent standard. It was through this activity that I began to observe that Pentax arose more consistently on these occasions.

I still consider Nikon or Canon to be the more professional ‘technical’ choice for three primary reasons:
1) Primarily because of their flash system performance.
2) Center AF sensors small enough to more consistently isolate the eyes for accurate portraiture focus.
3) Safer out-of-camera skin tone performance. Although this comes at the expense of the typical overexposed and featureless porcelain look (but it does avoid a frequent requirement for post processing to reduce excessive red response).

However, I am very satisfied with my choice that was based on ‘aesthetic performance’ and ‘enjoyment of use’. And I hope that Pentax will continue to excel and lead the market in regards to these unique key characteristics as well as to continue developing the professional capability of their cameras and lenses.

There were of course many Pentax users who’s work on the web contributed to my final decision. I would especially like to thank three parties of who’s work at the beginning of 2012 had an early influence on me taking notice of Pentax:
- Jim Radcliffe with his Boxed Light K-5 series.
- fs999 Frederick with his macro series using the DA* 50-135mm and Hoya close-up filter.
- Tougefc Simon Thomas with his series using the FA 77mm.

I am coming to Pentax digital from film having been using 645 medium format (primarily) and 4x5 large format (occasional). I have been looking forward to joining your community,

Kevin

03-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, that's a great intro btw.
03-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, that was a very good intro indeed
Always fun to know why people choose Pentax of all the brands.
Glad you like you K-5 and I hope we will see some pics from you soon.

Cheers
Yos
10-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, and welcome as a Pentaxian!

It is great to see that someone who is so systematic about their camera choice opts for Pentax.

I have a very similar background story (based on comparing the Pentax K100D with the Nikon D40, though).

Regarding two of your "pros" for Canikon:
QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
2) Center AF sensors small enough to more consistently isolate the eyes for accurate portraiture focus.
The K-3's new AF system with its 27 areas should address this, I believe.

Also, if one is concious about the issue, even the 11 AF areas of previous Pentax AF systems are manageable. I find that I get the best results when using AF-C using multiple AF attempts and confirming the intended focus visually. You may find my "Cool features..." thread helpful regarding similar tips.

QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
3) Safer out-of-camera skin tone performance.
I was very satisfied with the colours from my K100D but am still struggling with getting the right camera profile for my K-5 II.

People often claim there is a difference caused by the different sensor technologies (CCD vs CMOS), but I don't see how that could be argued for on a technical level. Perhaps the colour filters changed. I'm using Lightroom and tried an X-rite Color Passport but am not happy with the automatically generated profiles.

In any event, in case you are using Lightroom (or ACR), you may want to play with the Adobe DNG Profile Editor. I'm hoping that by manually tweaking the colour profile that I'll obtain pleasing colours again. I already made some progress with custom profiles but am not 100% there yet.

10-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard. I think mostly the autofocus is a matter of experience. The K5 does fine, but of course you'll have to get accustomed to the camera's systems.

And yes, you're going to be your own development lab now. I'm very happy with Lightroom - it really handles the RAW images well.
10-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
VAE
Inactive Account

I'm an new DSLR Pentaxian from Detroit Metro as-well! coincidence coincidence.
10-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
across the state (grand rapids), not new to pentax --- but getting my first K5 this week :-)
10-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
VAE
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
across the state (grand rapids), not new to pentax --- but getting my first K5 this week :-)
Wow, i was just there last month! halfway through, i saw this beautiful scene, it must be nice to live on the western Michigan where sunsets are so heartwarming!

Temptation and Spiked | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I stopped down and toked this photo across the corn field near the hwy.

10-31-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Bonjour Kevin from France and welcome to PF ... nice intro and enjoy the forum ... and please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J
10-31-2013, 05:21 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by VAE Quote
Wow, i was just there last month! halfway through, i saw this beautiful scene, it must be nice to live on the western Michigan where sunsets are so heartwarming!

Great picture, I never get to see the sunset in grand rapids because the tree line is just about everywhere i go. The only sunset picture I got from this past year was in grand haven. (40 minute drive for me)

10-31-2013, 05:41 AM   #11

Welcome to the forums!

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it that is exciting. I'm considering upgrading from my K-r myself. I'm in Rockford.

QuoteOriginally posted by VAE Quote

What a lovely image. I always enjoy seeing a sunset over cornfields since moving to Michigan.

Great picture, I never get to see the sunset in grand rapids because the tree line is just about everywhere i go. The only sunset picture I got from this past year was in grand haven. (40 minute drive for me)
I never get to see the sunsets or sunrises for the same reason, the tree line is everywhere I usually am. Lovely image of one of my favorite places to visit. I wish it were closer to the Grand Rapids area so I could easily get there.
10-31-2013, 05:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

congratulations, and welcome.
Sunset's/rises are beautiful over the great lakes.

i've got family in mackinaw, ferndale and roseville, Used to spend every summer in michigan, I kinda consider it a second home.
10-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
Welcome to the forums!

I never get to see the sunsets or sunrises for the same reason, the tree line is everywhere I usually am. Lovely image of one of my favorite places to visit. I wish it were closer to the Grand Rapids area so I could easily get there.
I just found one new place, but I havent been over there yet for a sunset yet is lookout park. Its just south of the baseball diamond on Leonard street and Division. I think also north of cedar springs is one of the highest points in west michigan (fisk knob park), might have some potential.
11-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #14

I just found one new place, but I havent been over there yet for a sunset yet is lookout park. Its just south of the baseball diamond on Leonard street and Division. I think also north of cedar springs is one of the highest points in west michigan (fisk knob park), might have some potential.
Thanks. I will have to check these places out!