Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Greetings from the Philippines!

An old fart, originating from Nothern Europe, but retired in the Philippines, due to health related problems....
I was an avid amateur photographer, some years ago, but for various reaons, I got a bit side tracked, for a while. But as I am now retired, I am planning to "get into business again"! The new gadgets with digital photography looks very interesting and challenging, -I am in the process of sort of a re-orientation in the equipment jungle.
I was an avid Pentax user then, -can't see any reason why I should change that now....

01-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back to Pentax. Any chance you have any old gear lying around? You wold be happy to learn most if it will work with the new toys out there. Hope your health is better and welcome aboard.
01-09-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks!

No, I'm afraid all of my old "toys" are gone, -much to my regret...
I started out with a Pentax ME, way back in 1978, with a smc 50mm f 1,8, and worked my way through a number of camera houses, lenses, winders and flash units...
My favourite was, and still is, my two trusted LX's, one with winder and one with motordrive, a Metz Mecablits 45-5, a Tokina 80 -200 f 2,8 a Tamoron 500 f 8 mirror, and a few other goodies and gadgets...
Maybe I should add, -a marriage which imploded way back in the early 90's was the main cause for a chain of events.....
However, as my father once said, life is too short to be taken too serious, -I went through the complicated and time consuming process of re-establishing my life again. And -would you believe it; I'm now on, or very close, to cloud 9!
The best thing I ever did was to marry a filipina.....
As far as photography is concerned, I'm dabbling with the idea of getting a K10D, -apparently, they're assembled not very far from here....
01-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, you'll have fun with your new toys! I'm looking foward to seeing some pictures of the Philippines!

01-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Goodmorning,

Yes, I'm looking forward to that too...
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get even an estimate when a K 1OD can be delivered. One of the less fortunate features of this otherwise great nation, is te "loss of face" phenomenon. They are very reluctant to tell me directly that they don't know when a delivery can take place. So, consequently, they make up some rather crummy excuses, caused by lack of anything specific. One sales lady even suggested that they haven't started deliveries of this camera yet.....
In other words, I'm still at, or close to, square one.....
01-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hello and welcome!

I had no idea the Philippines was a considered a retirement place . sounds really nice down there

looking forward to your input,

cheers

randy
01-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums! Where abouts in the islands are you? Looking forward to seeing some pictures!
02-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
As the saying goes, "time flies when you don't know what you're doing...."
Allthough I have been at several caera shops, in and around Cebu City, it seems like no-one can get me a K10D, or give me an estimate when I am likely to get one...
That's why I bought a Nikon D200 yesterday...
I really wanted to get a new Pentax, as I have allways liked these cameras. But when there's no supply, -well, what can I do?
I'm aware of the possibility that this might exclude me from this forum, though. But that's something I might have to learn to live with....

02-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, that's disappointing. I personally hope you'll stick around!
02-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

That's bad news. Still hope to see some shots. Pentax or not, please share!
04-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What can I say?

Amazing things do happen, after all!
Some days after my previous posting, my Nikon was stolen, would you believe it?
This might be the excuse I needed for sticking to Pentax, after all...
I am now negotiating with a friend from Norway, who will come to the Philippines, in mid June.....
I the meantime, I'll just have to wait and be patient, I guess?
However, with my brother in law, I went to Mactan, two weeks ago, and although they coild not sell me a K10D, they did the next best thing, namely a tour of the factory where the K10D's are made! Very interesting for an avid Pentax fan!
They even gave me some promotion stuff, like a t-shirt, a couple of ball pens, and some stickers!
All I need now is to find some patience until June....
And for those of you who might wonder, -yes, the Nikon was insured.....
04-15-2007, 08:14 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Welcome to the forums! Where abouts in the islands are you? Looking forward to seeing some pictures!
Alvin, -sorry for the late responce...
I live some 2o km southwest of Cebu City, in what they call "Poblacion Naga".
We came here two years ago, and bought a house. It's the "hometown" of my wife, actually....
The house proved to in need of some "refurbishing", and that\s what we've been doing, mostly, since we came. A little bit now, and a little bit then, as we had some money saved up...
04-16-2007, 07:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sounds like you were destined to get a Pentax! Sorry your camera got stolen and you have to wait until June, but I'm glad you'll be able to come back to Pentax. The tour of the factory would be very interesting, glad you were able to take it.

Carol
04-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Camera Obscura, I was just wondering where in the Philippines you live? I've spent some time up in Aparri and Ilagan -- off the camera suubject I know but it's always good to meet a fellow kaibigan.
04-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Ah Cebu - I just saw! I can't speak Cebuano Tagalog lang! Well, that's a gorgeous area though - take care