Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Hi everyone

My name's Stef, a long time ago I got some money from my aunt and I decided to buy a photocamera. People in the shop strongly recommended the MZ-5n as I said I wished to have as many manual functions as possible. Of course this was long before the digital era.

Many years later Iím still really happy with the purchase. First lenses were also by Pentax: 28-70 and I'm especially satisfied with my Pentax SMC AF 1.4/50. Shot many pictures with both. Although I shoot with a digital camera as well (even considering buying one) I love film.

Over the last few years I've been photographing even more. I also bought 2 more lenses. Pentax SMC-A 70-210 Makro and an Auto Revuenon 1:2.8/135.

My zoomlens 70-210 seems to cause some interesting color effects. Actually they're far from real. I suppose this is what is called 'purple fringe' ? Or may be the scan in the shop wasn't done correctly. Anyway I like the Makro function it has very much and the strange color effects even add an expressionist feel.

Always interesting to read about any similar experiences.

In general I'd like to hear from you if you have the MZ-5n or any of the above mentioned lenses.

Two more questions: does anybody know wether the above mentioned Pentax lenses fit the Canon 5D MarkII ? Just wondering. And how do you have your film negatives scanned ? In a special scanner or in an other way. Are you doing it yourself ?

Looking forward to any reactions !

Cheers

03-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, you may want to post these questions to other parts of the forum, where more folk will read them and hopefully give you the right answers.
03-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter

Hi Stef. Welcome to the forums. I also have a Pentax MZ-5n but I have not used it since getting my K10d about 3 years ago. It is a nice camera but I am going to sell mine as I also have a MX and one film camera is enough because these days I am only shooting digital. Lack of time is my main reason for not playing with film.

I have a 5MP slide and negative scanner which I really should use more. It is nothing fancy - about $160 when I got it and probably much less now. I think they are a good investment if you have a lot of old film because you can post process the images and undo the effects of fading, etc to some extent.

I have quite a few lenses but my FA 1.4/50 is the only one comparable to yours. Don't be afraid to try lenses by other manufacturers. There are some good ones out there. But remember that any lens needs to be a Pentax K mount or have a K mount adapter to be fitted to a Pentax DSLR.

There are adapters which will allow you to fit Pentax lenses to Canon bodies (try Ebay) but you will certainly lose some functionality and the Pentax lens ma yprotrude far enough into the body to foul the mirror. The is probably something best avoided.

Peter
03-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, you may want to post these questions to other parts of the forum, where more folk will read them and hopefully give you the right answers.
Thanks kerrowdown. That's what I did. There's a great section for all Pentax SLR film lovers..

03-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Hi Stef. Welcome to the forums. I also have a Pentax MZ-5n but I have not used it since getting my K10d about 3 years ago. It is a nice camera but I am going to sell mine as I also have a MX and one film camera is enough because these days I am only shooting digital. Lack of time is my main reason for not playing with film.

I have a 5MP slide and negative scanner which I really should use more. It is nothing fancy - about $160 when I got it and probably much less now. I think they are a good investment if you have a lot of old film because you can post process the images and undo the effects of fading, etc to some extent.

I have quite a few lenses but my FA 1.4/50 is the only one comparable to yours. Don't be afraid to try lenses by other manufacturers. There are some good ones out there. But remember that any lens needs to be a Pentax K mount or have a K mount adapter to be fitted to a Pentax DSLR.

There are adapters which will allow you to fit Pentax lenses to Canon bodies (try Ebay) but you will certainly lose some functionality and the Pentax lens ma yprotrude far enough into the body to foul the mirror. The is probably something best avoided.

Peter
Hi PJ1, thanks a lot for your interesting remarks. I'll have a look on the i-net searching for scanners. What's a 5MP ? The price is very reasonable. Amazing. I've been asking in shops and they mentioned far higher prices. Thanks again.
03-22-2013, 03:49 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good having you here Stef. Enjoy the forum and hope you get the answers you need.
03-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to the Forums ... and as already mentioned, do not hesitate to ask question, because it's a very friendly group here ... J
03-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stef Quote
In general I'd like to hear from you if you have the MZ-5n or any of the above mentioned lenses.
Hey there! I'm new here too (just got through posting my own introduction), and I just picked up a MZ-5n last week! I really like the old-style SLR controls paired with modern autofocus, auto-winding, etc. It helps that it's a relatively small and lightweight SLR too. I also like to use the panorama switch with a really wide lens. I got a Vivitar 19mm lens -- not the sharpest lens around, but OK for my purposes -- and it's just a fun combo to carry everywhere and snap away with.

QuoteQuote:
And how do you have your film negatives scanned ? In a special scanner or in an other way. Are you doing it yourself ?
I got an Epson V600 scanner, which is great for scanning 120 format film (from my Ricoh Diacord G). I get 25MP images out of that. It's a lot more questionable with 35mm film. The processor I use will do high-resolution scans for an additional $5 per roll, and the scans I do myself aren't any better, so I'd rather just pay to have it done when the film is developed. However, the V600 can make a decent 35mm scan whenever I devote the time to it.

04-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Hey there! I'm new here too (just got through posting my own introduction), and I just picked up a MZ-5n last week! I really like the old-style SLR controls paired with modern autofocus, auto-winding, etc. It helps that it's a relatively small and lightweight SLR too. I also like to use the panorama switch with a really wide lens. I got a Vivitar 19mm lens -- not the sharpest lens around, but OK for my purposes -- and it's just a fun combo to carry everywhere and snap away with.

I got an Epson V600 scanner, which is great for scanning 120 format film (from my Ricoh Diacord G). I get 25MP images out of that. It's a lot more questionable with 35mm film. The processor I use will do high-resolution scans for an additional $5 per roll, and the scans I do myself aren't any better, so I'd rather just pay to have it done when the film is developed. However, the V600 can make a decent 35mm scan whenever I devote the time to it.
Hi Tony, thanks for replying. Nice to hear about your MZ-5n. Scanning negatives demands much time ? I go to a shop in my town and I'm always a bit disenchanted by the results: the scan doesn't completely cover the negative. How about your V600 ?
04-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
PJ1
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stef Quote
Hi PJ1, thanks a lot for your interesting remarks. I'll have a look on the i-net searching for scanners. What's a 5MP ? The price is very reasonable. Amazing. I've been asking in shops and they mentioned far higher prices. Thanks again.
5 MP = 5 megapixel. Sorry, it is a bit ambiguous in mypost. It does look like a "name". The scanner itself is a no-name brand. The transparencies I have scanned so far are thirty years old (or more) so there is a bit if degradation in the colour. It seems to do a reasonable job and the scans look fine on screen, but not so sharp at 100%. But that may be an issue with the images rather than the scanner. Keep looking - you will find something!