Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello from Northern Wisconsin

Thought I should introduce myself after being signed up for a month now. I'm a long time (old) Pentax user. Got my Spotmatic ll in 1971 and went wild in black and white film during college and gradually moved into color, wedding photography etc before life got in the way. Used my Pentax and five Takumar primes a lot up until the late 90's. When I found out a couple months ago (while researching the Pentax K5 ll) that I could use my old primes on a new digital body I really got excited. So in the next couple weeks I'm going to order me a new K5 ll or lls from B&H and one good quality zoom for all around shooting and start playing around with the old primes. So, you have a GREAT site here and I hope that in time I can contribute to it.

Bob (woodywesty)

03-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... Your legacy primes will work well with a K-5, but you'll need an adapter for the M42 mounts ... what glass do you have and don't forget to post us some images soon ... J
03-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, just one of the joys of Pentax ownership is backwards lens compatibility.
03-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have to warn you, I bought a *ist more than 5 years ago, so I could use my old lenses. I don't even own any of those old lenses anymore. AF spoiled me. Lately I bought an A-400, and have really enjoyed getting back into manual focus. If you have lot's of older primes, I'd still recommend getting an 18-135 to go with those primes, or something else waterproof, to take advantage of the water sealing on the lens. (18-55 WR, 100 macro WR, DA* 16-50, DA*50-135 or DA*60-25 although the DA*s are expensive and for the most part aren't as useful as the 18-135.

03-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bob, welcome to the forum - lots of great folks and help here!

I used to live in Washburn and worked the NW "corner" of WI - Ashland down towords Park Falls, over to Hayward and the Cable area and up to the edge of Superior. Great country!!
03-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi and bonjour to you all,
I have super takumar lens's in 28mm 3.5, 35mm 3.5, 50mm 1.4, 135mm 3.5 and 300mm 4 along with Asahi extension tubes, filters and bellows. Many years ago I tried all kinds of stuff in and out of the darkroom and am beginning to learn the new science and technology of digital photography. This forum is without a doubt the place to be for me (although my wife is going to hate it!) ;-) Normhead... At this point I've pretty much decided to get the Sigma 24-70 2.8 zoom as my first general autofocus lens. It appears to be optically very well rated. Now I'm trying to learn the merit between JPEG and RAW and whether I should buy the K5ll or the K5lls... then theres the software...so much to learn. Anyway, I'm excited! Chip B, I know that area of Wisconsin well. I've camped all over the area. I'm in the north west part of the state and like to spend time canoeing the Boundry Waters Canoe area. Usually drive right thru Austin once a year to and from the gulf coast for "Birding"..

Thanks, Bob
03-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Hi and bonjour to you all,
I have super takumar lens's in 28mm 3.5, 35mm 3.5, 50mm 1.4, 135mm 3.5 and 300mm 4 along with Asahi extension tubes, filters and bellows. ...
Sounds good to me ... thanks and enjoy, J

03-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

woodywesty, your story sounds a bit like mine. Welcome to a terrific forum. I'm right across the big lake from you. Wave if you get a chance.