Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Greetings

Hello all. I just bought a k-5. after much research and comparison. I decided that it was the best bang for the buck and jumped in.

I did a bunch of photography back in the early 80's in Jr high and High school but after the second T-70 got stolen I no longer had money to buy a new camera. I am now deciding to get back into some photography. I snap off shots of everything with my camera phone and it just doesnt get me much so I decided time to start up the old hobie again

Here's to hoping I can understand any of the advice I get and keep shooting.

03-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums, Unkle Toad! This is a great place to get back into photography and you will find some very nice and helpful people here. You also made an excellent camera choice. There is no doubt in my mind that the K5 is the best bang for buck as well as just one of the best bangs! You are going to love it for sure. I hope you enjoy your journey back into photography!
03-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #3

Welcome back to photography in general and to PF in particular.

You can't get better value than the K5 and Pentax equipment is generally cheaper than the big 2 unless you are looking at rare or exotic stuff. I hope you enjoy your photography.
03-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome (back) to Pentax and to PF ... please post us some images soon ... J

03-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to photography as well.
03-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok so my k5 arrived . And after getting the battery charged and installed I managed to set the language time and date .. So far so good. Now it's 2am and pouring down rain outside, I'm lying in bed smiling and reading the manual. I am afraid I am not yet smarter than this inanimate object, and am further in fear that this state will continue for quite some time. Just wanted to share a little I look forward to finally taking some shots tomorrow.
03-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll have fun learning. The Magic Lantern K7 book does pretty well explaining the functions, particularly for those new to the DSLR world. There are other resources, too, but honestly this forum is the best.

03-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
You'll have fun learning. The Magic Lantern K7 book does pretty well explaining the functions, particularly for those new to the DSLR world. There are other resources, too, but honestly this forum is the best.
Good advice ... I had a K-7 and purchased this book ... then I got a K-5 and the book is still valid as an aid for a K-5, since both DSLRs are so similar ... J
03-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you need both - the Catch-in-Focus isn't discussed in the Magic Lantern book, for instance. And I'm glad they didn't update the control layout from the K-7 - the ergonomics and menus are pretty logically layed-out. Plus the book is small enough to pack in a bag.