Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #1

Hi from Elliot Lake in Northern Ontario

My first two SLRs were both 50mm f1.4 Spotmatics in the 60's and 70's and I loved the way they felt and operated, of course the pictures were amazing too. In the 60's I also had the fisheye, bellows and 2X tele-converter and in the 70's I had an Enna 80-250. Many, many years ago, I looked into dSLRs but was overwhelmed by their apparent complexity so I waited and eventually got a Sony DSCH5. I came up here to retire nearly 6 years ago and it wasn't until I was going on a Caribbean cruise in early 2010 that I decided I needed a dSLR to take advantage of all the things and places that I'd be seeing for the first time so I got a K-x kit with the two zoom lenses. That really introduced me to the differences of dSLRs and started my journey of learning and experimenting and subsequently I got the 100 macro and 10-17 fisheye. It was 2 years before I found I wanted more, so I traded up to a K-5 kit with the 18-135, but kept the 55-300, and thought I was in heaven. The need for frequent lens swapping became an ever increasing problem so I traded the 18-135 and 55-300 in for a second hand 18-250 and was back in heaven again especially since I subsequently got the Sigma 150-500. Unfortunately my health began to deteriorate, which affects my mobility, so I found I was doing more and more cropping and needed more pixels but I already had the top model with no where to go and only rumours of other possibilities. As much as I hated doing so, I felt I had no other option and started looking at other brands since my mobility continues to rapidly decline and I can no longer wait for Pentax to announce, let alone start shipping, a new camera. I ended up getting the 36 Mp Nikon D800 as well as their 28-300 and the 105 macro and my comment to the salesman at the time was "I want that sensor in a Pentax body" as the Nikon ergonomics and menu system are truly terrible. I appreciate Pentax's quandary over a full frame body but not everyone has the luxury of waiting for them to decide and I wonder how many others are changing brands because they too can no longer afford to wait. The whole Pentax system is amazing in its offerings, capabilities and usability so I continue to be a Pentaxian at heart and keep hoping that a more capable camera is coming and my pulse races every time a get an announcement from the Forum so keep up the great work and thank you.

03-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow ... what an intro! Thanks for joining us and bonjour from France ... J
03-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The time thing really sucks eh? But I have to ask... how's the mall doing? are they going to rebuild it?

I was up there a few years ago.
Dunlop Lake - July 22-31, 2007
03-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, wow some intro that, I feel like I've lived next door to you for years.

03-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hey, I just thought of another issue. According to my thinking, a K-5 and a D800 have about the same pixel density, so the image should be about the same size. If you had to crop your image 50% in a K-5 @300mm, then you'd have to crop the D800 75%, you'd actually get pretty much the same image, just more image to throw out. But you wouldn't have to be as accurate in your framing. You'd definitely have more room to crop with the D800. I've always thought the advantage to APS-c was, you aren't going to pay for image size you are just going to crop anyway with long lenses.

So that's what I think should happen, what are you finding from your experience?
03-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The time thing really sucks eh? But I have to ask... how's the mall doing? are they going to rebuild it?

I was up there a few years ago.
Dunlop Lake - July 22-31, 2007
The old mall and hotel will likely all be gone by the end of this month although it'll probably take a few more months to get rid of all the debris from the site. The loss of so many stores meant that the city couldn't wait for the old mall to be torn down before a new one could be built so they've already got a new lot by Canadian Tire cleared and pretty well ready for construction so the hope is that the selected devleoper will have the new mall open in time for Christmas shopping this year. Quite a few of the old mall stores have committed to renting space in the new one so I'm sure that encouraged the developer to go ahead with their plans. It's a wonderful town, the residents are amazing and the surrounding scenery is some of nature's best, no matter what your interests are.
03-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hey, I just thought of another issue. According to my thinking, a K-5 and a D800 have about the same pixel density, so the image should be about the same size. If you had to crop your image 50% in a K-5 @300mm, then you'd have to crop the D800 75%, you'd actually get pretty much the same image, just more image to throw out. But you wouldn't have to be as accurate in your framing. You'd definitely have more room to crop with the D800. I've always thought the advantage to APS-c was, you aren't going to pay for image size you are just going to crop anyway with long lenses.

So that's what I think should happen, what are you finding from your experience?
My other hobby was veneering and I really liked the effect that book matching them produced - here's a link to a PDF file that shows an example, http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/Papers/Making%20Templates%20for%20a%20Sunburst.pdf and it's all about joining segments. I start with a close-up image of something with an interesting pattern or shape and then crop out a 45 degree segment so with my K-5 I usually wound up with less than half of the pixels. If you duplicate, flip and rotate the segment you then have a square which can then be duplicated and flipped to produce a rectangle and that can be duplicated and flipped to produce a square. I use photo segments in lieu of veneer and I've used 22.5, 30, 45 or 60 degree segments to come up with the final image. Doing this with a D800 image means I have a little more than twice the number of pixels available so I can print them larger. The first sample is the starting image and the other two are results of different arrangements using the same 45 degree segment. I hope this helps explain why the Nikon does a better job for me than the K-5 and let me know if you have any more questions.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo