Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New from Brisbane Australia

Gday all,

My name is James, and I just picked up a Kr kit for $349 here in Australia new. I was a former Pentax user, owning a *istDL and K200D before moving over to C*non mainly to shoot with fast lenses in sports. I picked up the Kr to take with me to Thailand in may as I didn't want to carry all my Canon equipment around. I just ordered the DA L 55-300 tonight, and I might pick up a DA 35 f 2.4 as well to take.

I'm musing over whether it might be time to switch back to Pentax with the K-5 II and some of the DA* lenses, as my heart was always with Pentax, I just had little choice at the time, needing the AF, Fast lenses etc But I reckon the K-5 II can do all I need and the DA* 300 F4 is a sweet lens. We shall see.

I'm not a newby with camera's but I am new here.

03-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, enjoy Thailand an amazingly photogenic country, something new around each corner.
03-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #3

Welcome to the forums! All the systems are good... just go with what seems to "fit" you better. For me and many of the others here it is Pentax. About your lenses, well, while the 55-300mm is a good lens and has amazing range, it does have a fairly long minimum focus distance which may prove frustrating on your trip to Thailand. I still think you will like it, but I would also recommend making sure you have another lens on hand (like the DA35 you mentioned). Again, good to have you around!
03-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome James and hope you like it here. For what you paid for your K-r, you just cannot get better value for money. It is the mother of all entry level dSLRs in my opinion (until the D7100 was announced). You have all you need to get started shooting in all sorts of conditions. Enjoy the forum and your K-r.

03-19-2013, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #5

Another Aussie,

welcome, soon we will take control...
03-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from another Australian.

I would encourage carrying a reasonably wide angle lens as well if you intend to visit some of Thailand's very impressive temples. Did you pick up the kit zoom with your purchases? Otherwise, even with a 35mm lens, you probably won't capture all of the building in some cases.
03-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Welcome from another Australian.

I would encourage carrying a reasonably wide angle lens as well if you intend to visit some of Thailand's very impressive temples. Did you pick up the kit zoom with your purchases? Otherwise, even with a 35mm lens, you probably won't capture all of the building in some cases.
Thanks for the welcomes already.

I did get the kit 18-55 with it. The main prompting me for getting the K r was

a) Price
b) I would have had to spend alot more on a compact camera that could produce similar images.

And the fact I didn't want to carry around 3 L series lenses and a 7D.

I think my kit will comprise of K r, DA L 18-55, DA L 55-300 and DA 35.

Cheers

03-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You will find the DA 35 a most stunning lens to shoot with. That would be the lens that will give you the best results, hands down. I think of it as a budget Limited lens. Enjoy.