Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New Member - Back to the future!

So I recently picked up an ist DS and an old (LOL!) manual focus smc 28 2.8a. After 40 years of photography I have to say this is the most fun I've had since I bought that just introduced OM-1 back in the 70's (no relation to today's OM). So tell me about the older manual focus Pentax lenses!

BTW - I've used Pentax in the past and am well versed (first hand) in their wonderful ltd series lenses. I'm just really enjoying my bang for the buck system. 6mp - lets forgive a little over processing! Actually most of my work is computer based these days so pixel count just isn't an issue. I'll probably end up investing in a focusing screen better suited to MF which will likely cost more than the camera and lens combined. The price of retro I guess.

John

03-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! You will find many devoted fans of the classic glass around here. My set includes SMC-A 24 and 50, a Rikenon 28 and 70-150 plus Limiteds at 40 and 70mm. Each generation of glass is great in its own way, and my K-01 has really brought back the joy of focusing manually for me. I took some very nice images with a K100d so age isn't a bad thing around here
03-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome !
Nothing wrong with that 6MP sensor
03-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Penceler Quote
So I recently picked up an ist DS and an old (LOL!) manual focus smc 28 2.8a. After 40 years of photography I have to say this is the most fun I've had since I bought that just introduced OM-1 back in the 70's (no relation to today's OM). So tell me about the older manual focus Pentax lenses!

BTW - I've used Pentax in the past and am well versed (first hand) in their wonderful ltd series lenses. I'm just really enjoying my bang for the buck system. 6mp - lets forgive a little over processing! Actually most of my work is computer based these days so pixel count just isn't an issue. I'll probably end up investing in a focusing screen better suited to MF which will likely cost more than the camera and lens combined. The price of retro I guess.

John
Hey, kindred spirit, welcome

Like you, I came out of the venerable OM system, having over the years gone through all their single-digit bodies except the OM3, and a large stash of the wonderful Zuiko glass. A system, sadly abandoned by Olympus for decades (OM2000 doesn't count), made me jump to Pentax, which I hit with the MZ-S and onwards....and the FA Ltd lenses (31/43/77mm) are, I am sure you agree remarkably like some Zuiko's we both know and love?

After the deception of seeing Olympus abandon the OM series, and the utter confusion with various other brands of camera and their lens (in)compatibilities, one of my big draws that made me go Pentax was the continuity of the K-mount, and the implicit promise that "we'll keep going and not abandon you". Actually, having bought in to Pentax only since the MZ-S, I have but "modern" autofocus glass - but I see past behavior as a promise for the future here

The istDS is a neat camera, and one of the things that I particularly like about the D and DS is their compactness without sacrificing anything. Well...except, perhaps, the shutter speed ring around the lens mount, eh John?

03-21-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, there a special section here on the forum that will help feed your LBA.

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database