Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2013, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Warning: Extreme Noob

Just want to say hi to everyone and yes, I am an extreme noob to this. So noobish, I still don't own a camera .
I have been reading here and other places for a few days now because I would like a camera, and I have chosen a camera already, just haven't pulled the trigger. I'm thinking you probably can guess the brand at least. The only pictures i have been taking has been with my phone, and they're not very good because kids are always moving. Lots of stuff with the back of their heads. So, the lord gave us 2 ears and one mouth, so I am here to learn and see if I can enjoy this as a hobbie. And thanks for having me.

03-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a good place to learn, for sure.
And remember, used equipment is a good choice. Plenty of us upgrade every couple of release cycles and sell off well-cared-for (and well-used) equipment. There's a huge difference between a good phone camera and an average DSLR (not to mention good ones).
03-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums ... do not hesitate to ask questions, etc. J
03-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by John Trik Quote
Warning: Extreme Noob
Welcome to the forum, your making it sound like a disease.

What you must not forget... we all stood at one time, where your standing now.

Welcome to photography, a whole world awaits you.

03-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all for the welcome.
I definitely am here to learn and truly I can't wait for this world to appear for me. One thing I am learning fast, and it shouldn't surprise me, is the
different "language" or "jargon" that is used. Today I found out that IQ does not mean Intelligent Quotient. Image Quality does make a lot more sense.

To start with I have decided on the K30 as my camera, once i save up on the funds. Let me know if it's a good or bad choice. Reading here i think it's a good one for me to delve my toe in.
03-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

K-30 is a great camera. If funds are tight, a used k-r (or k-x) is super cheap, and more than enough for most any beginner all the way up to advanced intermediate. The biggest improvements from k-r to k-30 are weather resistance, dual control wheels, and a higher resolution sensor. None of this is really necessary in the beginning. The higher resolution is only going to help if you have a 30" monitor, or plan on printing at poster size. For regular use, you won't see any difference.

We all feel the lure of a shiny new toy, but I promise you that the kr is more than adequate until you decide what's important to you as a photographer. It should cost half or less than a new k-30. I still shoot with a k-x after 3 years, and it really is still great for me. I wanted a new camera, and was advised to spend money on lenses instead, and I am so glad I did. A much better place to spend your money. My advise: get a k-r with the kit 18-55. If you need a good low light indoor lens, the Sigma 30mm 1.4 is a fun lens to shoot, and a fine introduction to primes. A word of warning, you will probably have to send it to Sigma to get the focus calibrated to your camera, this is pretty common with f1.4 lenses. Next is a tripod, and maybe some filters for long exposure fun. Then start collecting the limited primes, then worry about a new camera. Your priorities may be different, but that's a good starting path.

Also, get a copy of the book Understanding Exposure, and get that camera off of green mode right away.
03-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Kozlok,
thank you for the welcome and the advice. Believe me when I say i will be needing it.
The biggest reason I opted for the K30 was because it was water proof and weather proof. When I first decided to look at DSLR's I walked into the normal big box stores here, and all I had in front of me were various Nikon's, Canons and Sony. Weren't a whole lot of anything else. I was going to go with the Canon cause my wife had a Canon previously and she had a lens that went with the camera, an Eos Rebel. Did my research so i come to find out that lens doesn't work on the latest iteration. So here I was no reason to be going one way or another. Did a little more research and discovered Pentax, which i recognized. To me the thing that differentiated Pentax from the others, remember I know very little except for what i read, was the waterproof and weather proof aspect. My vacations are literally always on the beach. It just made sense, the fact i can purchase used lenses and probably excellent older lenses made my decision even more logical. Yep, took me all but 10 minutes to figure it out. Although i will say the drop in price on the K-01 may make me rethink again. But K30 it is. Hopefully I can sell a car or two in a couple weeks and order one.
03-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Have fun--and read the manual! Start simple and work your way up, and have fun! Get the kit, and enjoy. Look forward to seeing some photographs....
David