Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello to you all

Hi, I'm in UK and have been using Pentax since early Spotmatic, my first 35mm camera and a wonderful tool in those days, so simple and efficient. I used to 120 as well and must say, the best 35mm I ever used was a Contax.
After many years, I went digital and started with a small snapper, then gradually went upstream from there. I must say that due to lack of 35mm processing locally and the development of digital quite rapidly, I was converted through need rather than want.

Had a Nikon "full frame" with a "Bigma" stuck on it, which was great imaging.. but, like carrying a sackload of bricks around and certainly no good for wildlife as too shakey with all that bulk! Went to a smaller. lighter cannon 600D but that was suffering from "forward focus", so sent iit for repair and bought a 5550d and used that for a year. Not enough serious control! Upgraded to a 60D which had all the control and features I need to make me feel more at home. Trouble is, when you are shooting wildlife yo need a big zoom as yo may be close or afar at any moment, which means that a 'Prime', say 600mm, is just going to make you miss good shots.

Saw the Pentax K-5 IIs and was impressed by it's aparent sharpness without the AA filter; seeing pictures posted by reviewers. So, got me one. I have some teething issues with this, which are posted elsewhere, namely camera lock-up or "freeze" by the Operating System (OS); after updating to 1.3 Apart from that, images are great but the body certainly needs some redesigning! If Pentax could do that, swap my not-quite-so-hot K-5 IIs for a newer body that's got all the problems fixed I'd be a happy bunny.

Last edited by Old_Taoist; 03-29-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Typos
03-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums
03-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you ought to get a job with the Pentax design team, your observations and thoughts could benefit us all.
03-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Kerrowdown. Nice to virtually meet you. My father was a highly regarded motor engineer, so I was brought up with "nuts and bolts" or how things work, why they don't and how come the designers didn't do this... etcetera. It's been my "curse" ever since... or blessing; that is if Pentax wish to avail themselves of my logical grey matter ;-) lol

03-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Old_Taoist Quote
Pentax wish to avail themselves of my logical grey matter
Just make 'em an offer they can't refuse.