Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Howdy from Texas

I've been dabbling with cameras for yay long time, but just recently with renewed enthusiasm.

My mainstay for several years has been a Pentax K100D. How did that happen? Oh yeah... I first learned photography (beyond the point-and-snap level) on a Sears KS-2 (made by Ricoh) that took Pentax K-mount lenses. I remembered when I started shopping for a DSLR, so I looked at the Pentax reviews, and they were quite positive, so that's how it went. I was happy to use old manual-focus lenses, so I got a split-prism focusing screen for the K100D, and a couple of old lenses off eBay, and I was ready for action.

More recently I got to missing my old film cameras, so I went back to eBay and snagged another Sears KS-2 and its twin Ricoh XR-7 for peanuts, followed by a Ricoh Diacord G (my first medium-format!) and then a Pentax ZX-5n. Man, the film cameras you can get for nearly nothing now! I've been floored by the image quality of the Diacord, although it's bulky and slow to operate. At the opposite pole, I find the ZX-5n with a Vivitar 19mm superwide lens is fun to carry about and take snapshots with.

I'll freely admit that I'm a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to equipment, and I'm indifferent towards the latest-and-greatest tech. I've gotten a lot of info off this site, and it helped me pick out the ZX and a couple of lenses already.

03-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum.
03-25-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, at the end of the day equipment wise, it's all about whatever works for you and gives you what you need in terms of images.