Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #1

I just bought my 3rd camera in 3 months.

Initially, I wanted a camera because I couldn't figure out which cell phone had the best low-light capabilities. I was interested in photographing jazz musicians and street scenes. I purchased a Panasonic LX7. It worked better than any cell phone, but I wanted an articulating screen, an electronic viewfinder and the ability to use my old Minolta legacy lenses. I purchased a Panasonic G3. I then bought some macro adapters and a ring flash to see if I could use the camera for dentistry. DOF with a 45mm and macro was super shallow I don't know if the G3 offered any reduction in high iso noise for dark jazz venues. Theoretically, it should have, - I guess. So far I had a light weight walk-around P&S, and a mirrorless micro 4/3 with some additional advanced features.

I then read that the Pentax K30 had a larger sensor, an optically correct viewfinder and much better low-light capabilities, as well as focus peaking. Online research led me to the K01. No viewfinder, but short of purchasing a $2000+ full frame camera, I couldn't imagine a better choice to experiment with a larger sensor, low light, and macro photography. In body stabilization as well!

So far, I estimate that I am about $1300 -$1400 in. I really don't know what my ultimate intentions of photography are, but, time will tell - or not!

03-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #2

The K01 is a great camera and I think it would be great for the type of photography you mention. I am sure you will love it and I hope you find uses or homes for your other cameras. I will be waiting to see your post next week on your purchasing of a 645d!
03-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. I found the K01 has amazing image quality for the price. Hope it is the one for you. sounds like an interesting journey. I considered both those camera but decided on K01 as I have all the lens to go with it.
03-25-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, Jazz to Dentistry is a pretty wide genre to do with one camera, I think there will also be a bit of comprise one end or the other.

Hope the K01 meets at least some of your needs for you.

03-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
Loving my K01 with Focus Peaking. Funny thing is, I tried an adapter with an 85mm Minolta prime legacy lens and it acts like a macro with no image stabilization. I have to move back and forth until I am the perfect distance from the object for it to focus. This wasn't the case with my Panasonic G3. The Panny has no camera body stabilization, but allowed me to manually focus at different lengths from the object. I have a feeling all my Minolta lenses will act the same. That is disappointing. Any ideas? (Could be good for dentistry, but not for jazz).
03-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pffddspc Quote
Funny thing is, I tried an adapter with an 85mm Minolta prime legacy lens and it acts like a macro with no image stabilization. I have to move back and forth until I am the perfect distance from the object for it to focus. This wasn't the case with my Panasonic G3. The Panny has no camera body stabilization, but allowed me to manually focus at different lengths from the object. I have a feeling all my Minolta lenses will act the same.
You're right, they will all act like that. It's because the flange focal distance of Pentax is different than Minolta.

Each lens is designed to come in to focus when mounted at an exact distance from the camera sensor. On Pentax, this distance is 45.46mm. If you mount a lens that expects a shorter distance, like a Minolta (43.5mm) or a Leica (27.8mm), the image can only come into focus in front of the sensor, and you get a myopic camera. The lens can only be used for close-focus, and cannot focus to inifity.

You said you bought "macro adapters." Does that include an extension tube? Mounting a lens with a shorter FFD on a camera with a longer one is just like using an extension tube. If you want to adapt an old lens and use it in jazz clubs, the FFD of the lens must match that of the camera. The FFD of the Pentax mount matches M42 and is very close to Zenit M39 SLR lenses. There are lots of them around, and they don't cost much.

Your Panasonic (FFD = 19.25mm) would be much better suited for legacy lenses with short flange focal distances. When the lens has an FFD longer than your camera, you can just mount an extension tube to hold the lens further away from the sensor as needed. You can't go the other way. In order for your Minolta to work on the K-01, it would have to be mounted inside the camera, which isn't possible.
03-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and I hope that you are finding everyone helpful and friendly ... J
03-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
You're right, they will all act like that. It's because the flange focal distance of Pentax is different than Minolta.

Each lens is designed to come in to focus when mounted at an exact distance from the camera sensor. On Pentax, this distance is 45.46mm. If you mount a lens that expects a shorter distance, like a Minolta (43.5mm) or a Leica (27.8mm), the image can only come into focus in front of the sensor, and you get a myopic camera. The lens can only be used for close-focus, and cannot focus to inifity.

You said you bought "macro adapters." Does that include an extension tube? Mounting a lens with a shorter FFD on a camera with a longer one is just like using an extension tube. If you want to adapt an old lens and use it in jazz clubs, the FFD of the lens must match that of the camera. The FFD of the Pentax mount matches M42 and is very close to Zenit M39 SLR lenses. There are lots of them around, and they don't cost much.

Your Panasonic (FFD = 19.25mm) would be much better suited for legacy lenses with short flange focal distances. When the lens has an FFD longer than your camera, you can just mount an extension tube to hold the lens further away from the sensor as needed. You can't go the other way. In order for your Minolta to work on the K-01, it would have to be mounted inside the camera, which isn't possible.
Interesting. That raises the question,"Why does anyone sell a Minolta - Pentax adapter?". Also, If I bought macro tubes to use with my Pentax 40mm2.8 lens that came with the K01, would that work? Thanks for your help. I may have another question re: M42 & Zenit M39 slr lenses after I do some more research.

03-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Why does anyone sell a Minolta - Pentax adapter?
Well, it does take pictures, just in a very limited fasion. They do sell adapters with corrective lenses in them, like glasses to fix the camera's nearsightedness, but they degrade the image quality to the point that most people will tell you not to bother. I've never tried, so I can't say for myself.

From what you said, I'm assuming your adapter is glassless, like this one. I'm not sure which Minolta mount you're referring to, but the principle is the same. Both have a FFD shorter than Pentax. Note that, in the description, the seller warns that it's for macro only, and cannot focus to infinity.

However, you could buy something like this adapter to put your Minoltas on your Panasonic. It's just an extension tube to increase the GX3's FFD to the distance that the Minolta lenses require.

Don't consider these links endorsements. I'm just clicking on the first ones I see, and I'm not sure which Minolta mount you're using.

Also, If I bought macro tubes to use with my Pentax 40mm2.8 lens that came with the K01, would that work?
Work for what? Macro? It depends. How well it works will depend on whether it allows aperture control or not. The 40mm lens you have does not have an aperture ring, so you can't adjust it manually. If your macro tube doesn't have the connections that allow your camera to adjust the aperture, the lens will stay stopped down all the way, and it will be very difficult to use.

By the way, that's a fantastic lens. The people in the lens review section really like it.

If you have more questions, ask away. We love questions.
03-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum
03-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought my 3rd camera in 3 months.
Thats not much, its been open season on K-01s and Q's since after Christmas, and many forum members have got multiple copies. I myself am guilty of buying 4 Q's and a K-01. With firmware version 1.11 released (and then pulled off the site), the Q is an entirely different camera now, so maybe it wasnt such a bad idea after all.