Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Greetings from Oahu

Hi, all. I've been reading the forums for a while prior to joining the ranks. I just ordered my first Pentax setup, which is also my first DSLR; it should arrive in 10 days or so. I'm entering my second childhood with respect to photography -- I quit shooting film out of frustration many (many, many) years ago, but was given a digital point-and-shoot as a gift about three years back and discovered that I could actually take the occasional decent shot (link is to my flickr stuff). That camera (a thoroughly abused Panasonic DMC-ZS3) is dying and I'm now addicted, so I thought to go for something a little more substantial this time out.

My primary considerations in buying a new camera were durability, budget, budget, budget, versatility and low-light performance. I settled on the K-30 with the 18-135 WR lens because it's by far the least expensive option for my wants. I like shooting at the beach and in weather -- which is one of the reasons the Panasonic is almost dead -- and I wanted a reasonably long zoom lens to start with because my only real experience is with the 25-300mm equivalent on the Panasonic. I also get the opportunity to shoot concerts from time to time, so the high-ISO performance is attractive. I hope to get some fast primes and maybe some faster zooms down the road as finances and confidence allow.

That's it. The forums have already been very helpful to me while I was deciding what camera and lens to get, and I have no doubt whatever that I'll get a ton of good information about how to get the most from the camera once I start using it. So thanks for the help already rendered and in advance for what's to come. Cheers, Weldon

03-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, you'll be like the child waiting for Santa until it to arrives, have fun once you get it.
03-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Aloha.

I lived in the islands for about 4 years...welcome to the forum. I am an adopted son. LOL...

You will have plenty of subjects to shoot over there that's for sure.
03-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
you'll be like the child waiting for Santa until it to arrives
And that's the truth. It's raining now, I'm looking out at the clouds on the hills thinking "If I had my camera now I could go shoot in this stuff."

QuoteQuote:
I lived in the islands for about 4 years...welcome to the forum. I am an adopted son.
Aloha, thanks. Yeah, there's no shortage of scenery, human and otherwise.

03-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

When I lived in Hawaii a friend of mine was always walking around with his big zoom lens...

One day at the beach I asked if I could borrow his camera for a minute to take a couple shots...

When he got home he got a nice surprise LOL.

I knew I should have been a Sports Illustrated swimsuit photographer...

There is still time...