Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #1

Re-born Pentaxian in Saskatchewan

Hi everyone,

I guess I'm a re-born Pentaxian! To be honest I had never heard the term until a few weeks ago but it seems to fit.

I used to shoot quite a bit of film on my MZ-10 which I loved (still do) and dragged all over the place including a good chunk of western Europe and the Mediterranean. At some point I got caught up in other interests and obligations and photography fell by the wayside. I still have the MZ-10 with grip, flash and lenses but it hasnt seen film in almost 2 years as it's been more "convenient" to rely on my POS P&S.

Well I decided it was finally time to pick up an SLR again and started looking into replacing my gear with a digital. The initial sticker shock of decent gear and the option to use my old lenses had me looking at Pentax again. (price was the deciding factor in my initial camera decision). After a little research and lurking I was blown away by the reviews and sample images I saw and jumped in with both feet and ordered a brand new K-5 IIs. I know its a big leap from what I had, but I'm hoping with my film background the learning curve wont be too steep.

So while I wait for it to arrive I thought it best to introduce myself as I'm sure to be harrassing most of the vetrans with my newbie (to digital at least) questions.

I'll likely also be putting my film gear up for sale in the marketplace if anyone is interested.

Cheers

04-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice to hear you'll be putting that Pentax glass back to good use! You'll really enjoy the K5IIs.....especially the high ISO as compared to film.....

Cheers,
Steve
04-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I have a sneaky feeling that your really going to enjoy that K-5IIs, once she comes to live with you.
04-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Greetings from Alberta

The K5IIs is a neat camera and the sharpness and IQ is great. Have you ever made a photo trip to the Great Sand Hills near Leader?

Dale

04-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome (back) to Pentax digital ... lots of friendly folk here on the Forums, so do not hesitate to ask questions, etc. ... J
04-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I picked it up last night and I'm realy excited by the quality. I'm also amazed at how similar in feel and layout it is to my 35mm body and how quickly I'm figuring out the key functions. I need to update the firm ware tonight and re-arrange my gear bag.

I have been to the sand hills but its been a long while, I'm already thinkng about places to shoot in the big muddy badlands and river valleys. just have to wait for all this snow to melt. (3 feet on the ground and more on the way tomorrow and its April)
04-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome

I just got back from Slave Lake, Alberta, so I know what you mean about the snow. I guess if you're used to film you're quickly going to learn about crop factor. Your 35mm lens is now a 50, your 50 is now a 70. Your 200 is now a 300. And you have to buy a 12 to get the equivalent of 18. But if you're like me you really don't notice much. I just look through the viewfinder and compose. If I need more FoV I go shorter, if I need less I go longer, same as before.
04-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
I hear ya

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Welcome

I just got back from Slave Lake, Alberta, so I know what you mean about the snow. I guess if you're used to film you're quickly going to learn about crop factor. Your 35mm lens is now a 50, your 50 is now a 70. Your 200 is now a 300. And you have to buy a 12 to get the equivalent of 18. But if you're like me you really don't notice much. I just look through the viewfinder and compose. If I need more FoV I go shorter, if I need less I go longer, same as before.
I managed to pick up a DA 14mm f2.8 for a decent price and the local shop bundled the DA 18-135 with the K-5 iis. Add in my older lenses and I'm essentially covered from 21 to 450 in 35mm including a fast 50 and macro.