Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #1

Hello from Japan

Hello,

Just bought my K-30 18-135 kit along with the 70mm F2.4 limited and a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm F3.5 (version 2) lens. I decided to treat myself, since I've been waiting patiently for four years to ditch my Nikon D60 (even though it's been a great workhorse the entire time!).

I really enjoy candid portraits and landscape photography, but I want to learn strobist portraits and macro as well. Next on my shopping list is a wide angle (possibly the 21mm 3.2) and a macro - maybe a Tamron SP MF 90mm.

About me: I am male, in my mid 20's, and work for uncle sam. I originally hail from Texas but ended up in Shizuoka prefecture in Japan somehow. But that's not a bad thing, as Japan has an amazing mixture of high-tech hustle-bustle elegantly mixed in with a profound respect of things long gone, but not forgotten, and never lost.

Hope to share and see some excellent pictures in the future with all of you! Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

04-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum and a good choice of a DSLR
I just came back from Japan and I also got the K-30, 18-135mm kit but instead of a portrait lens I bought the Tamron 10-24mm lens.
Just love the selection of Pentax gear in Japan, here in Beijing where I currently live it's not that easy finding Pentax stuff.
If you have any questions, just ask, people here are very friendly and knowledgeable.

Cheers
Yos
04-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... Enjoy the new gear and post an image or two soon ... J
04-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that new K30, there's plenty of work it can be doing in such a photogenic country as Japan.

04-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah welcome - you lucky duck!

I'm in Japan on business now. Other than complaints about the weather today (though yesterday in Shinjuku Gyoen was pretty under the sunshine), Japan is my favorite place to be, for work and for vacationing....so much to photograph!

Enjoy!
04-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
Tclausen,

make sure you go and do some hanami - flower viewing - while you're here during this special time. The cherry trees only bloom for a couple of weeks every year!
04-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome! I am travelling to Japan (Fukuoka, Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto) in 2 weeks! What things should I look out for photography wise?

04-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
What things should I look out for photography wise?
Anything and everything, it's an amazing country, enjoy your trip.
04-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
Yos
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Anything and everything, it's an amazing country, enjoy your trip.
+1

And also bring a lot of cash or a spouse to keep the LBA in check!
I love all the camera shops in Tokyo.
Here is a good link for you if it's your first time in Tokyo
Camera shopping in Tokyo pt. 1 – Shinjuku | Japan Camera Hunter

The site list a few good shops
04-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
Thanks for the link ... J
04-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Omalika Quote
Tclausen,

make sure you go and do some hanami - flower viewing - while you're here during this special time. The cherry trees only bloom for a couple of weeks every year!
You mean like this:

(Shinjuku Gyoen, on April 1. K-01....)

Despite coming to Japan often, this is the first visit that coincides with cherry blossom season.....the Friendly Airport Limousine drive from NRT to Tokyo was quite spectacular

Last edited by tclausen; 04-02-2013 at 03:18 PM.
04-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Welcome! I am travelling to Japan (Fukuoka, Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto) in 2 weeks! What things should I look out for photography wise?
Just like others have said, pretty much everything is photogenic here. If you're traveling from Osaka to Tokyo (or vice versa), you'll be passing by Mt. Fuji (assuming you're taking rail or bus). Get a few snapshots of that iconic mountain, if you can!

Also, remember, there will always be more shrines, but not many are painted in gold - so pay a visit to Kinkaku-ji in Kyoto while you're at it.