Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #1

Hello from Repentigny

I just registered, I'm from Nova Scotia Canada, but am currently residing just north east of Montreal. I'm very much an amateur, but have always loved photography and hiking, with the two going hand in hand in my mind. Whenever we go on a hike, my camera is always in tow. I have always had Pentax gear, Pentax aways seemed to be the best fit for me.

I was very good at math in high school, graduating with honors and completeing the three year term in under 2 1/2, and coincidentally my math teacher happened to run the photography group. Consequently he would often hand me a roll of film as soon as I walked in to class, and I'd spend my math time happily in the dark room developing and enlarging. I had my own darkroom at home too. I was never all that good, but really enjoyed the learning process and creativity. Watching an enlargement develop before your eyes is a wonder I have never forgotten.

My *ist dl packed up recently (sensor taking only black frames), so I just bought a K-30 to replace it, awaiting delivery. I can't wait to get my hands on it, it looks like an awesome value. I am going to continue to use my kit lens 18-55 that came with my *ist while I consider my options. It's a nice lens, but I want to kick it up a notch and get a faster and more rugged zoom.

I feel like this will be my last DSLR, I can't see them lasting long once mirrorless develops a little more. I briefly considered the Ricoh GXR but didn't want to lock in to such a proprietary system. It looks like a very intriging system though. But once I became familiar with the K-30 though, there was no turning back.

Anyway, I have blathered on long enough.

04-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

Quite a departure from N.S. !
As for waiting for the DSLR's to "go away" in favour of mirrorless cameras ... little chance of that happening over the next few years (personal opinion), although it has been a very hot subject for the past few months.

So ... are you a Highlander or a BlueNoser ?

Cheers!

JP
04-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi JP,

I'm from St Margaret's Bay on the south shore not far from Halifax, grew up about 10km from Peggy's Cove. My wife's family is from Prince Albert, but they moved to the Repentigny area when she was 10. We normally reside in NS, but have been in this area for a couple of years.

For whatever my opinion is worth, I can't see how DSLR will be able to complete with mirrorless in the long run. They are smaller, lighter, have fewer moving parts, won't vibrate, and lenses will be smaller, more compact, and supposedly because of that, cheaper to make. Sony seems to be making great strides in replacing the mirror with electronics, and that is only going to improve. To me it will be a final merging of the mechanical SLR with full digital technology. But I personally don't care one way or the other (I have no axe to grind), just my observation.

What I don't understand though is why mirrorless is so expensive, given the above. It makes no sense, unless it's just the corps recovering their initial r&d costs, or they just are able to charge that much for new tech. Whatever, unless the prices come down to meet what I see is their real value, I will steer clear of them.
04-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mvsjes2 Quote
What I don't understand though is why mirrorless is so expensive, given the above.
Welcome to the forum.
As to why it's so expensive, it is for the same reason anything else costs what it costs. In all things there are R&D costs, manufacturing costs, marketing costs, advertising costs, etc. All of those combined have little or nothing do do with what something costs at retail. Things cost what people are willing to pay for them. If that amount is less than all combined costs, the item ceases to exist. If people are willing to pay $5.00 for a widgit, it doesn't matter whether the total associated costs are $1.00 or $2.00. It will cost $5.00.
I realize that's a bit over simplified, but the principle is sound.

04-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, a great intro, I now know where to send my maths problems in future.