Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

Greetings from The Netherlands

Hi all,

A navy officer from The Netherlands here!

I'm new to dslr's and the K-5 that I received today is my very first one

My photography track record is as short as my flickr gallery: I've had some SLR experience when I bought an Olympus OM-1 (still have it) as a boy. After that I switched to digital compacts. I had some good fun with my Pany TZ-10 and especially my little Ixus 800SD: it runs CHDK and I did a star time lapse during the Perseides meteor shower last year (for those interested: the video is
).

I had great fun making it, but was frustrated with the image noise. That's why I decided I needed to go bigger.

Why Pentax? Well, the K-5 was mainly chosen after reading much about it on the forum here as well as some very favorable reviews elsewhere. Because of my aforementioned interest in astrophotography and time lapses, I was initially drawn to the Canons (EOS utility), but I was hesitant to bite as most of their entry dslr's seem lacking in the IQ department lately (as in: no new APS-C sensor since the 7D). Also they are a bit on the large side.

The K-5 caught my attention because of the size of the package and the weather sealing: I like to hike and I want to be able to take equipment with me that I know won't break easily. I don't own dedicated camera bags and probably never will, so a little robustness goes a long way. I always thought the K-5 was too pricey and lacked the basic tethering needed for time lapses. However, after seeing that the K-5 with the 18-55 WR kit lens was just over €700 (probably due to introduction of the K-5II), and reading up on PK_tether, I decided to "take the plunge" as they say.

Anyhoo, that's enough about me.

Last edited by krispy; 04-11-2013 at 01:27 PM.
04-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, a great intro, enjoy your K-5.
04-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure to drop by on pentaxforum.nl as well! Tot ziens!
04-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
Cheers guys!

@newmikey: ik kom zeker even kijken

04-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You won't regret joining this very helpful forum!

Oh ja, en welkom natuurlijk!
04-10-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice intro', Welcome to the forums!!

de groeten uit, AJR