Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Hello ... border GB country

Hi all - just introducing myself - I'm based in the Forest of Dean in UK, that's Welsh border country. Wanting to get back into stills photography mainly landscapes I guess after some thirty years away from the stills world. I'm a filmmaker by trade and with all the technology changes in that area I found myself shooting my own footage and that has re-kindled my interest in capturing an atmosphere in images.... Now looking to pick up a pentax K-5 IIs hopefully fairly soon but SO MUCH HAS CHANGED since my day ....I used to use a rock solid 1970s Nikkormat shot Black and white, swore blind by Iford FP4 or HP5 and went everywhere with a red filter on a nice 28mm WA. ,,,sigh .......

Not even sure right now if I can get those results that I used to go for on a DSLR - is there a setting on the camera to dummy B&W or will I have to do it all 'in post' and in that case I guess its fiddling with contrast ratios to get that red filter effect !! Any words of wisdom appreciated

Best Tim

04-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums

It is all fiddling the sliders now

Pl. have a look at Nik Collection - Silver Efex Pro 2

or Topaz B&W Effects - Stunning Black and White Conversion

Tutorials are available in those sites / you tube
04-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dynamo Quote
Welcome to the forums

It is all fiddling the sliders now

Pl. have a look at Nik Collection - Silver Efex Pro 2

or Topaz B&W Effects - Stunning Black and White Conversion

Tutorials are available in those sites / you tube
Awwww... wow, thanks for the reply so quickly - think I've fallen in love with the look of that Silver Efex Pro 2 software - now I've really got to find a way to raise a few pennies and buy the camera ........and just get out there!

Inspired - Thanks
04-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... post us some images when you can ... J

04-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, the limitations are the same now, as they were back in the days of film... the photographers pursuit of excellence and vision.

Where as before a the PP was done in the dark, now it's done in the light, less messy and maybe a tad quicker.

Have a good look around at the various software options available before you commit. As a film maker you'll already appreciate that Adobe tend to make the industry standard products like Lightroom and Photoshop.

Most PP products tend to have free trial period for you to become partially acquainted, a try before you buy.
04-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KnightsRose Quote
Awwww... wow, thanks for the reply so quickly - think I've fallen in love with the look of that Silver Efex Pro 2 software - now I've really got to find a way to raise a few pennies and buy the camera ........and just get out there!

Inspired - Thanks
There is a thread in this forum about NIK collection; you'll get all of them for USD 126.65

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/219559-google-offering...150-total.html

I am planning to get, but first i'll try the "free trial"
04-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Yes, I agree with you too Kerrowdown, the image is ultimately down to the passion of the photographer, in their "pursuit of excellence and vision." Its good to know that there is some other software out there that is different to photoshop, which I don't find very intuitive to use... so this looks like a really interesting deal highlighted by Dynamo.

Thanks again one and all for the friendly welcome.

I'll be back (eventually )... as they say ....