Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Greetings from Glasgow. Kilts, Castles, and cameras

Good afternoon all. As is customary I hereby intorduce myself to the helpful world of the pentax forum.

Hello all. My name is Alister;

I have been taking pictures for most of my days. Some good, some excellent, and lots of mediocre.
My passion was inspired by my father who passed away two years ago now. Yet after this time I am only just getting into organising his (and my) camera equipment. He was a lover of quality and engineering, his father being chief tool man at Rolls-Royce HQ over in Hillington to the west of Glasgow. Certainly this migrated into his buying choices for equipment and preparations for photographs. It is this dedication to machines that has landed me here today.

For as long as I can remember there has been a camera within reach of my family. Like all good men my dad even had my mum taking pictures of the family with her own camera (make it accessable, a Minox point and shoot. But don't skimp on the results). Invariably it was the barrel of a LX that was pointed in our direction; the familliar cranking; then the clack. Another Kodak moment!

It was not long before son had to have his very own camera to go everywhere just like dad: A small 110 fuji afair. no meter, fixed shutter; a glorified film holder.. the results may be in a drawer somewhere, but to be honest i don't know if a film was ever processed. Followed by a 135 point and shoot. A blue thing with a built in winder. It chewed batteries, but deffinitley produced pictures.

So I moved on. My very own SLR.
An Asahi Spotmatic SP. It must have been in mint condition. It came with three lenses. A 35. a 90, and a 300. Everything was exquisite. Everything traveled everywhere with me and I have some of my most memorable photographs from that camera. It takes time to change those screw on lenses. Watching the wild gease fly away while you try to start that thread... oh well. The meetering was interesting too, it was down to a charged battery, and one that was hard to find. Either that or I just did not know how to use it with the auto stop lenses... somewhere along the line though I got it sussed.

It would have been so nice to have a LX. Back then though they were still too expensive for me, and I suspect my dad was not too keen on me borrowing his lenses .
A Minolta SPXi came my way. Auto focus delight and tech whiz that suited a gadged mind to the ground. Lenses were cheep too, though I only ever got a sigma 21-35 manual focus to go with the kit lens on it (35-210 ?). I have some stunning pictures from that camera. It was idiot proof. just as well as I was only going to be in France the once. I left with pictures on Velvia that would match any advertising shots for the tourist board.

At long last though I made it to the top. My very own......................

Nikon F3!

It is still with me after 18 years. lots of lenses. digital cameras that have come and gone... Simple and very well made, though just not refined like the pentax. It was always a mystery to me why the "professionals" wanted F3 and not LX. Rightly though they do feel rather dainty alongside. There is the other important factor of flash. Though this is something I have only recently come to learn about as my dad never used one, and swore that he would not... harsh light etc.. (though I know better now).

Anyway.. to cut what could be a very long story much shorter.

and still in the wardrobe at home the brown camera bag waits
After endless years of carrying that brown bag around, the black tripod, and perhaps (but only on special ocassion) the 500mm. it is time to say good bye.

I am now moving away from film into exclusivley digital having purchased my first full frame (did you hear my lenses sigh... hello big world, how you have been missed!)

So not only is my F3 going but so are all the other extrainous bit of kit from the decades of collecting... and I must say if the big P did a F.F I would have saved a lot of effort and got it instead. But I had to go with a (language!) N***n D800.
I should say that this also replaces a full range of broadcast video equipment as well (the big shoulder cameras that the BBC use). Not making productions intended for broadcast lifts the restraints of using DSLR for video.

I can hear a baby crying so need to cut this short. Hello again, and keep your eyes peeled, or ask; for LX kit or general camera gear. Its not a lifetime of gear... its TWO!

I look forward to sharing stories and information over the years. looks like a good place to be guys.

Alister

04-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I came in from the Nikon dark side myself in the early 80's (from Nikon F3's which filled themselves up with Middle Eastern sand) and were replaced by Pentax LX's. Used them for years, kept changing for new ones of the same, never let me down, right up until the late 90's when they ceased to be.

Good to have another member residing North of the border.
« hi | Hello from USA »