Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Hello from Wisconsin

I just joined the group and am proud to be considered a Pentaxian. I am using a Kx, but am considering upgrading to a model with better weather sealing in the future (budget permitting). For the time being though, I'm wondering if anyone has run into a battery issue with the Kx. I am using non-rechargeable alkaline batteries and they only last a couple of hours and through, maybe 15-20 shots if I turn the camera off after every shot. I have updated with the latest firmware, but no improvement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! bturnbull1.8

04-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We use rechargeable in our K-x and though they do go fast, I'd say fast on the order of 75-200 shots per battery change. And it's an issue that's getting worse. So you definitely have an issue. What to do about it, I have no idea.
04-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to our wonderful community!

Your first step I think would be to upgrade your batteries to a set of AA rechargeables as soon as you can. Preferably ones that hold their charge when not in use such as the Sanyo Eneloop. If you insist on non-rechargeable batteries then a less frustrating way to go would be Lithium batteries. Much lighter, much longer lasting, and ... much more expensive...

Essentially the rechargeables pay for themselves after a couple of uses and are much less frustrating.
04-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... J

04-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, your battery issue is just the very reason to justify a new purchase, that is if you need any justification.
04-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
Welcome to our wonderful community!

Your first step I think would be to upgrade your batteries to a set of AA rechargeables as soon as you can. Preferably ones that hold their charge when not in use such as the Sanyo Eneloop. If you insist on non-rechargeable batteries then a less frustrating way to go would be Lithium batteries. Much lighter, much longer lasting, and ... much more expensive...

Essentially the rechargeables pay for themselves after a couple of uses and are much less frustrating.
Mike,
Sorry to take so long to say "Thank you for your reply". I am trying some rechargeable batteries and will look to see what firmware update I loaded when the problem first appeared. I admit I did leave some info out of my original post. I have had the camera for 2 1/2 years and have been using disposable batteries since new and have been getting in excess of 500 shots from each set of batteries. Something has changed to cause such rapid battery failure and I have not been able to figure out what. However, I have been reading some other Pentaxian posts and I see that I am not alone. I appreciate your suggestion of the rechargeables and rechecking for firmware updates. Time will tell if I have been able to correct the condition. Thanks again.
Bruce Turnbull
04-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

If you watch woot.com the eneloop deals pop up fairly regularly.

Welcome aboard from someone a bit further south.