Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 04:59 AM   #1

Hello

Hey all,
My name is Bill and I just purchased my first DSLR a Pentax K30. I'm ever so slowly learning the functions and the operations of the camera, but it's coming along....slowly
My wife and I are huge hockey fans and we'll be flying up to Ann Arbor MI from our home in Texas for the NHL's Winter Classic on 01 Jan 2014. The game is going to be outside at "The Big House", the Univerisity of Michigan's football stadium. Of course the question is what lens would be suitable for taking pictures for a fast sport like ice hockey being played outside. Our seats are about the middle of the stadium so I wasn't sure if a 200mm lens would be enough - It is a very large stadium. I'd love to have the WR 300mm due to possible inclement weather, but it's not like money is no object.
As you can tell my knowledge of lenses - and cameras - is almost non-existant.
Any advise you guys could put fourth would be appreciated.
One thing: I haven't checked with the NHL, but usually there is a limit on the size of lens you can have. That, at least, has been my experience in the indoor arenas I've visited.
Regards,
Bill

04-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Bill! Pentax and the the K-30 is a good choice for a first DSLR. Can't help you with NHL camera/lens regulations since I am not from the US.
You might get more replies if you ask your hockey question in the "Beginners Q&A" or in the "Pentax Lens Discussion" part of the forum.
Enjoy your K-30 and when you have time post some pics
04-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, hockey is not an easy sport to capture because of its game speed, so good luck with that, key thing is to enjoy your photography.