Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bibi Quote
"Aren't you going to use a flash?" and I said, "No. I shouldn't have to. I want to see how well it works without a flash."
Just this sentence shows you're off to a good start!

A flash can be useful, mostly when you take it off the camera (or at least bounce it on a wall or ceiling). After all, photography is about light, and as the creator of the image you're entitled to take control of the light.

However, using the camera's flash, while useful in some circumstances, almost always degrades your image. In this case, you did very well, especially for a first shot. The composition, depth of field, nand lighting, are very good. I'm sure you will learn and improve even more as time passes.

04-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Just this sentence shows you're off to a good start!

A flash can be useful, mostly when you take it off the camera (or at least bounce it on a wall or ceiling). After all, photography is about light, and as the creator of the image you're entitled to take control of the light.

However, using the camera's flash, while useful in some circumstances, almost always degrades your image. In this case, you did very well, especially for a first shot. The composition, depth of field, nand lighting, are very good. I'm sure you will learn and improve even more as time passes.
The photo's not framed as I'd like it (not sure if that's the terminology), although I can easily crop it to be more pleasing. I wasn't even thinking about that. I was just thinking, "Okay, let's see how this works. I think I press this button." LOL Anyway, any pleasing aspects to the photo are entirely due to the camera and not to me. I'm very pleased with the camera, if I can get decent results like that in low light with no knowledge or tweaking of the settings. Hopefully, someday I'll be posting photos that have some real artistry to them, too.
04-25-2013, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #18

Photos: Albums
As another new DSLR photographer who's starting with a K-30 (I bought mine with the 18-135mm WR lens), I think you made a great choice. Get to know the camera and don't be afraid to experiment. Learn about using the manual modes on your camera, if you're looking for a good book to explain these I recommend "Understanding Exposure".
11-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

two photography teachers at his school, and one had said Canon and the other, Nikon.
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Remember those probably use very expensive equipment, not entry-level. they probably never handled a Canon Rebel so they don't know that it feels cheap and plasticky . Plus they will not vouch for the better but for their own brand.
Wouldn't surprise me if they were High School Teachers..................

11-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

"Stormy" (my new K-30 in Stormtrooper White)
*chuckles* (face palm)