Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #1

Hello from Northern NJ

Hi from Edgewater, NJ. I am a professional photographer and photographic educator. I teach intermediate and advanced photography and digital printing at the Art School at Old Church in Demarest, New Jersey and I conduct two summer workshops, one in New Hampshire in July and one in midcoast Maine in August.

I switched from Nikon to Pentax in 1968 and used only Pentax, both 35mm and 6X7, for virtually my entire career as a commercial photographer. I still have many of those film cameras and lenses but don't use them any more. I shoot a lot of images that end up as very large lithographs so I moved to full frame digital cameras in 2003. Still waiting for Pentax to come out with theirs.

I counseled one of my students to buy a Pentax DSLR a couple of years ago for budget reasons - it was the most camera for the least amount of money. She upgraded to the K5 last year and I've watched her shoot with it here in New Jersey and when she took my New Hampshire workshop last year. I am *very* impressed with the camera and its capabilities and with her Pentax lenses, most especially the 100mm macro. I see a lot of different cameras being used by my students. Pentax still has the same unbeatable combination of value, innovation and construction that it did in 1968. Now where's that full frame camera????

04-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HankNJ1 Quote
..............Now where's that full frame camera????
Oh, here we go..........................................

Welcome to the forum.
04-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
Did I just reopen a can of worms?
04-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HankNJ1 Quote
Did I just reopen a can of worms?
Just joking, Hank; and no, you didn't reopen anything. That can got opened a long time ago and you couldn't put a lid on it now with a hydraulic press.
We even have a dedicated forum for FF rumors, guesses, predictions, etc.

04-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
After all those years I was/am really wedded to the 24X36mm format and I really, really, need that big viewfinder. I sometimes envy my students having the extra depth of field with their smaller sensors, though, and the appreciably lighter weight of their cameras and lenses.
04-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, good someone who knows what they're doing.

You'll be able to keep us all on the straight an narrow now.

The FF is just around the corner, but don't hold you breath in case, I said the same in 2010, 2011, 2012...
04-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #7

Original Poster
I definitely won't keep you on the straight and narrow; I'm known to go in several different directions at once, but, eventually I narrow it down to one and it's sometimes the right way.

I certainly do have a lot of experience, though, and produced a lot of images with Pentax equipment over many years.

My cllients have been happy with my assigned work and I have a fair amount of art director awards to assure me I have done good commercial work. Patrons and those who attend my shows seem to love my fine art photographs. My students and workshop attendees tell me that what I have to say has been very helpful so maybe I can be useful here.

Glad to be here.

Now where's that *#!@?*}\ full frame Pentax camera?

Attached Images

Last edited by Parallax; 04-21-2013 at 05:57 AM.
04-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the Forum

Welcome to the Forum. I hope that you will gain something from the Forum even with your extensive background. I will certainly value your experience and knowledge, and hope you will not be shy about offering us non-professional members your perspectives and insights.