Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 85Civic Quote
I think it might be worth mentioning that I'm valuing things that just don't break more than anything at the moment (take into account I'm a student though), because I'm really good at breaking things, so if a lens is made of cheap construction I'd try to stay away from it because I've broken a 50 1.8 before (focus ring)
Just had to comment on that - I think just about anyone could break a canon 50mm 1.8... those things are built like toys and I can't think of a single Pentax lens that is as light and plastic as that poor thing. My beat up K7 keeps going, but it's defintely got scars on it... is even missing one of the strap lugs, and rather than replace it I filled it in with silicone aquarium sealant. hahah...

And what FruitLoops was saying about the K models is dead on. I've owned the K100d, K10d, K7 and the K5... I really enjoyed starting out with the first two but the K7 blew them out of the water, and the K5 is another big leap forward - but the good thing for that transition was the body and menus and layout was all the same (K5 vs K7) just the K5 performs better in nearly every area... and the high ISO performance is night and day between the two - I tried to never use the K7 beyond iso800, but the K5 looks as good or better up to and maybe beyond 3200. Night and day.

Anyhow... good stuff, man. I'm sure you'll work it all out! there's no wrong way to go about.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-22-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: addition
04-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I've done worse I just thought that was worth mentioning since that was just by use and not doing anything wrong
Sounds like I'm picking the right brand then if there upgrades are like that!
By the sounds of it though the K-5 II isn't as much of a jump though so either one will probably be fine.

Oh yeah I've got lots of time to work it out, savings might take a while, but now I've got a general goal so that's good, and if I decide the Pentax is Night and Day different then I'll just sell some of my Canon gear to further fund the Pentax gear