Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Current Canon User maybe switching to K-5 IIS

Hello! My name is David and I live in New Zealand

Currently I have Canon gear, but it's likely I'll be switching to Pentax, I just need to save up enough money first.
The reason for the switch is because I think I've destroyed my 60D in the rain, it's also been hit by water when doing some seascapes, so I've stopped Seascapes for now.
I've heard Pentax is AMAZING with their weather sealing, and I like shooting in the rain so I don't want to be held back by my equipment (within some reason of course)

So I was thinking I'd end up getting the K-5 IIs and the 18-135 WR to start off my adventure with Pentax

04-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome! I think you'll enjoy Pentax.
04-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good plan. Do it!
04-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Good plan. Do it!
Well sadly I need to save up for it so I'll have a while to reconsider (doesn't mean I will!)
At the moment I'm at $600 and I'm planning on putting at least $50 in a week ... I should probably note about now that I'm a student

It'll be nice to have gear that I don't need to worry about getting wet in the rain too much!

04-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 85Civic Quote
I've heard Pentax is AMAZING with their weather sealing,
Hmm....that's funny....I've heard the same thing

My Weather Resistance Testimonial

Also, I fell in love with your country and am seriously considering retiring there when the time comes in 40-ish years.

NEW ZEALAND: A Deployment Getaway (82 images!!)

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 04-22-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: typo
04-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, if that's your kind of shooting you do, WR from Pentax sounds like the way to go.
04-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Advance warning:

You know the DOF preview button? On Pentax cameras, that's the lens release
04-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for all the welcomes, even Tesla who commented first.
Well I surely hope they can take a fair bit of rain or just bad weather, that's my main reason for going to Pentax ... it'd sure be cheaper to stay with Canon (or even cheaper just use my 1000D)

I might just email Pentax closer to the time about how confident they are about the weather sealing and what their warranty policy is relating to water, Canon wouldn't touch mine when they found out water was involved
I'm really really hoping that the weather resistance is good, I hate the idea of being in the wrong place once and it can screw up your camera kind of thing. There's been times where out of nowhere it'll go from dry to pouring down with rain, so it's not always a good idea to try and open the camera bag ... plus shooting in the wet is fun!

Yeah I heard about that DOF placement that'll be .... interesting

04-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #9

Original Poster
Oh Heie those photos are really nice, I live in the North Island so it's more like cities than anything else and the only trip I've had to the South Island was family based so I didn't get to go out too much for photos.

Photo 2 and 17 really stood out to me though amongst all the other ones.
04-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Hi David,

I think if you get a K-5 II (s), you'll love it.

I wouldn't pay the insane prices some of the official shops have, though. There are other possibilities, such as this one.

BTW, the 18-135 is not the best lens, optically. Some like it nevertheless, but it clearly isn't a masterpiece of optical design.
Have a look at the used section of Photo & Video in Christchurch. They currently got a 50-135/2.8 which is also weather-sealed and a much better lens than the 18-135.

Feel free to scoot over to the Kiwi Pentaxians thread for more advice and support.

P.S.: Think twice before you get the "s" version. Even though many posters here don't manage to excite moiré that doesn't mean the danger isn't there. DPReview recently did a test and were able to show moiré for both models (just more with the "s" version). They reckon that the AA filter in the regular version isn't that strong.
04-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #11

Original Poster
Errrr I'm not a huge pan of Parallel Imports, I brought something that had a five year international warranty but because I brought it in parallel and it was over a year it wasn't included, otherwise it could have been sent of to Australia
But that is INSANELY cheap!

I've heard it isn't the best and I'm not quite ready to buy in just yet (saving at the moment) so that could be sold, so 18-135 is the thought at the moment, just because I generally like fast primes (although that 50-135 is quite fast!)
I'll have to have a look at used closer to the time, because I was thinking that I'd get the 16-50 and 50-135 later on down the line, I'll probably be looking at a Macro first, but who knows what kind of deals will come up!

Oh thank you for that link, the only Pentax user (pre, shoots Canon now) I know of said there was a NZ thread on the forums, so I'll have to check that out
Either the II or the IIs would be fine by me, I just thought the s would be worth the extra. I'll be watching used things to see if any good deals come up so they'll like be the II ones.

Speaking of used - Could be a good intro into Pentax, and I have about that much saved up.
Pentax K10D + F4 16-45mm DA lens + Accessories | Trade Me

Thank you for that it's quite helpful, especially if it helps me not make a wrong purchase
04-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 85Civic Quote
Errrr I'm not a huge pan of Parallel Imports, I brought something that had a five year international warranty but because I brought it in parallel and it was over a year it wasn't included, otherwise it could have been sent of to Australia
But that is INSANELY cheap!

I've heard it isn't the best and I'm not quite ready to buy in just yet (saving at the moment) so that could be sold, so 18-135 is the thought at the moment, just because I generally like fast primes (although that 50-135 is quite fast!)
I'll have to have a look at used closer to the time, because I was thinking that I'd get the 16-50 and 50-135 later on down the line, I'll probably be looking at a Macro first, but who knows what kind of deals will come up!

Oh thank you for that link, the only Pentax user (pre, shoots Canon now) I know of said there was a NZ thread on the forums, so I'll have to check that out
Either the II or the IIs would be fine by me, I just thought the s would be worth the extra. I'll be watching used things to see if any good deals come up so they'll like be the II ones.

Speaking of used - Could be a good intro into Pentax, and I have about that much saved up.
Pentax K10D + F4 16-45mm DA lens + Accessories | Trade Me

Thank you for that it's quite helpful, especially if it helps me not make a wrong purchase
Welcome to the forums! Say where are you at on the North island exactly? I lived in NZ for a year back in 2010 and 2011, traveled all over the place but was based a lot of the time in Welliez.

Were I you, I'd see if I could find a used K5 (not the K5ii or K5iis) and spend the savings on the weather sealed 16-50 and 50-135 as you mentioned. (I own hte 50-135 and it's amazing). I think the K5 right now is the "sweet spot" between price and performance, but I wouldn't step all the way back to a K7 except as a backup (which is what I still keep around for that purpose). You can always upgrade camera bodies later on, but its the glass you're most like to keep, so starting off with what you want in that department is always my recommendation.

Also, the K10d is a good camera still, and in it's day it was fantastic, but the K5 is leagues ahead of it in many ways.

Those are my thoughts. Welcome again!
04-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #13

Original Poster
Hi and thank you for having me
I'm living in Whangaparaoa, and I've been here most of my life, it's about 50kms North of Auckland CBD
I'm a University Student at Auckland University so I drive 100km a day 4 days a week for that, but it's worth it.

Yeah I know what you mean about the body being not as important, that's why I put that link up of the K10d, it seems like a good deal, if I want to upgrade either I can just sell it again and not lose too much since the 16-45 seems to retail higher (this assumes someone wants to buy it of course)
The Pentax guy I know had a K7 and said he that the high ISO was pretty bad, he didn't tell me why he switched back to Canon but he still has a spot for Pentax in his heart and sounds like he likes the K-5s

I do a lot of variety in my shooting, but I really like long exposures (ultra long ones as well) in particular, that's why I was thinking K-5IIs for things like stars
I used to do seascapes but that ended up costing me a bit because stuff broke.

Well I guess there's my late introduction

Body upgrading point you mentioned, my 60D has failed on my so I had to resort to using my 1000D for an event, mostly using the kit lens and a 100-300L f5.6 (It's pretty old)

I think it might be worth mentioning that I'm valuing things that just don't break more than anything at the moment (take into account I'm a student though), because I'm really good at breaking things, so if a lens is made of cheap construction I'd try to stay away from it because I've broken a 50 1.8 before (focus ring)

Also for those interested this seems like a good deal (Note I know nothing about Nikon, except it's top of the line stuff even if it's old)
Nikon D2x and 17-55 f2.8 lens | Trade Me
04-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

For the money they want for the K10D I'd keep saving. While its not a bad deal with the 16-45 included, that lens isn't weather sealed so not worth it for you really.

I had a K20D (successor to the K10D) and while it was a sound camera, it gets blown out of the water by the K5 or even a K-30 (as does the K7 for that matter) when it comes to ISO flexibility. With the K-5II out I think maybe you can find a K-5 cheaply thats good, or K-30 if you prefer a different grip/feel & don't mind having a few less dedicated switches/buttons on body. My K20 was good to ISO800 1600 in a pinch if you wanted to use b/w or noise reduction in PP. You can find examples of higher ISO for the K5/K-30 around here, ISO 3200 is as or better than 800 was on the previous gen gear really.

I know for astro photography the K20D had dark frame subtraction perm enabled for 30+ sec exposures which drove some people nuts (twice the exposure duration per shot).

Unless you have a tracking mount, for astro stuff I think you should really get a K5/K-30/K5-II for the ISO & weather proofing combo. Some people are way up in the clouds with pricing on Trademe, so just beware. You can get much more versatility out of slower lenses with a newer body really.

The 18-135WR seems to have a bit of variation between opinions (to the point that different copies have variations I'm sure), some find it terrible others seem to get really decent results from it and love it. If you find a good one I think for the coin they're a pretty versatile lens, that can be taken almost anywhere with acceptable but not stellar image quality.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/locosphotos/sets/72157630890848634/ 18-135 examples from a good copy, from a member on here.

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 04-22-2013 at 05:50 PM.
04-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #15

Original Poster
Yeah it is a bit up there and I've seen someone wanted a fair bit of money for a Canon 1000D with the twin kit lens, it's only really worth a few hundred but they were way starting at least $500
I was thinking it might be worth it because the 16-45 would resell pretty good and I could get into Pentax earlier, but it's probably the same age as my 1000D so ISO wouldn't be too great
I'll have to look into the K-30 but long term I wouldn't want anything smaller then the K-5s (although small Pentax might be different to entry Rebels)
I love dark frame subtraction! I think the only time I have it off (because it starts from ~1 sec) is really short exposures of waves or car light streaks

Hmm I haven't looked into any tracking stuff, that could be interesting but I think my astro stuff will be non weather sealed (Samyang 14mm f2.8)
I think from what I've seen Pentax has more then enough lenses to pick from (and then add old school stuff as well) and that's the main thing since the K5-II sounds pretty darn good.