Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #1

Hello

Hello,

I have been a Pentax user since 1970. I use screwmount cameras and lenses. I will be moving up to digital sometimes in the future. For now, I get so much enjoyment from my film cameras that I just keep using them.

It has been almost 50 years since the first Spotmatics came to market. I find it amazing how well they have withstood the test of time. My first Pentax, an H3v is still ready to go out and shoot at a moments notice.

My senior year in college, I was able to buy a Spotmatic F new. It is still a wonderful camera and a joy just to pick-up and hold.

5tax

04-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by 5tax Quote
Hello,

I have been a Pentax user since 1970. I use screwmount cameras and lenses. I will be moving up to digital sometimes in the future. For now, I get so much enjoyment from my film cameras that I just keep using them.

It has been almost 50 years since the first Spotmatics came to market. I find it amazing how well they have withstood the test of time. My first Pentax, an H3v is still ready to go out and shoot at a moments notice.

My senior year in college, I was able to buy a Spotmatic F new. It is still a wonderful camera and a joy just to pick-up and hold.

5tax
hey

you;re one die hard pentax fan!
04-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, a seasoned Pentax user, I'm sure we call all learn maybe a thing or two from you.
04-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for your intro and great to have another veteran Pentax user among us ... J

04-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for the warm welcome

I have already added to the serial database. A friend in college got me interested in Pentaxes. Our thinking at the time was that Nikons were very nice cameras, but if you are planning on going on an extended hiking trip, every ounce of weight counts. So Pentaxes were popular with people who planned on carrying them for an extended period. The fit and finish of Pentaxes were unmatched at the time. The lenses were small and well thought out. They were like jewels.

5tax
04-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'll find the same principles are still observable in Pentax DSLRs. They're more compact and more solid than the competition, with an emphasis on ruggedness. Many lenses are smaller too, with an emphasis on build and portability. Unfortunately, many of these requirements means the kit tends to be more heavy than in the film days, but that's unaviodable when you consider the electronics and batteries involved.