Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

Hello from Mumbai, India

Hello !

I have just bought a K-30, 18-55 kit and 2 years extra warranty from B&H photo and I am very excited about it this is my first DSLR camera.
I have not gotten the camera in hand yet as I had it shipped to my cousin in the US and he will bring it to me in India.

I am a structural engineer here in Mumbai and returned back to India after 6 years in South Carolina for graduate studies. I wanted to buy a DSLR camera, specifically a K-r when I was in USA but I just could not afford it as I was a poor graduate student, during this time I bought myself a used Panasonic DMC-FZ15 and I use it till this day.

I was first introduced to photography by my father who owned a Minolta 16mm variant and the first photo I took was ruined as I had placed my finger in front of the lens, my father did not get mad at me even though I had just wasted 1 precious picture (mind you, in 1986 photography was very expensive hobby for a middle class person in India) instead he let me know what I just did and let me take a second picture, this was my very first photograph (It was of my mother ironing clothes) ! The magic of a 35mm SLR camera was shown to me by a friend of my grandfathers when I was about 12 years old, he was kind enough to let me handle his Pentax and taught me how to focus and how to take photograph, he also tried and explained me what a "aperture" is and other things to best I could understand, He told me Canon and Nikon make very good cameras but Pentax quality and precision is something else and that Pentax makes the best cameras in the world !!! (this has stuck in my head forever, even though I have never owned a Pentax). Later when I was in senior year in highschool, my uncle gave me a defective canon 35mm film SLR camera with 55-300 lens and Auto Focus feature and motor for film forwarding and all the jazz, I think this was the last generation of Film cameras by CANON a film rebel SLR, I experimented with this camera but did not enjoy it much as it had a sticky shutter that would not release properly 4 out of 10 times (resulting in lot of wasted film).

Later on life moved on, education was important and photography took a back seat but I was always interested so I ended up buying a Panasonic FZ-15 used for $200 !! during that period nothing out of ordinary happened and I would just hungrily look online at Canon and Nikon latest models and wish I could afford one, but I always dreamed of a Pentax (either a K-r or the K-7 that showed up on WOOT! in those days)!

After coming back to India when I met my (now wife) girl, as we were discovering each other, we found out that we both owned almost exactly same looking cameras (I had fz-15, she had fz-20) this was when we also found out that we both want to own a DSLR at some point and that we both are interested in photography.

So 2 wks ago I bit the bullet and got myself a K-30 !!! For me this is a huge thing as I am investing money equivalent to 80% of my entire salary for a month in this camera !!

But I am confident that I have made a good choice. Although everyone who I know in India and who knows little bit about photography has advised me against buying a Pentax in India and going for Canon or Nikon as it is "easier" with all the "support", But I did not listen to them and I will be depending on this community for all the "support" I need and if ever my camera needs any repairs I have bought the 3 year warranty and will send it to USA. I just hope I wont regret this later

05-04-2013, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum!! Nice story!! best wishes with ur new toy
05-04-2013, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, a great intro, good to have you here.
08-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Xenocarcinus Quote
Hello !

I have just bought a K-30, 18-55 kit and 2 years extra warranty from B&H photo and I am very excited about it this is my first DSLR camera.
I have not gotten the camera in hand yet as I had it shipped to my cousin in the US and he will bring it to me in India.

I am a structural engineer here in Mumbai and returned back to India after 6 years in South Carolina for graduate studies. I wanted to buy a DSLR camera, specifically a K-r when I was in USA but I just could not afford it as I was a poor graduate student, during this time I bought myself a used Panasonic DMC-FZ15 and I use it till this day.

I was first introduced to photography by my father who owned a Minolta 16mm variant and the first photo I took was ruined as I had placed my finger in front of the lens, my father did not get mad at me even though I had just wasted 1 precious picture (mind you, in 1986 photography was very expensive hobby for a middle class person in India) instead he let me know what I just did and let me take a second picture, this was my very first photograph (It was of my mother ironing clothes) ! The magic of a 35mm SLR camera was shown to me by a friend of my grandfathers when I was about 12 years old, he was kind enough to let me handle his Pentax and taught me how to focus and how to take photograph, he also tried and explained me what a "aperture" is and other things to best I could understand, He told me Canon and Nikon make very good cameras but Pentax quality and precision is something else and that Pentax makes the best cameras in the world !!! (this has stuck in my head forever, even though I have never owned a Pentax). Later when I was in senior year in highschool, my uncle gave me a defective canon 35mm film SLR camera with 55-300 lens and Auto Focus feature and motor for film forwarding and all the jazz, I think this was the last generation of Film cameras by CANON a film rebel SLR, I experimented with this camera but did not enjoy it much as it had a sticky shutter that would not release properly 4 out of 10 times (resulting in lot of wasted film).

Later on life moved on, education was important and photography took a back seat but I was always interested so I ended up buying a Panasonic FZ-15 used for $200 !! during that period nothing out of ordinary happened and I would just hungrily look online at Canon and Nikon latest models and wish I could afford one, but I always dreamed of a Pentax (either a K-r or the K-7 that showed up on WOOT! in those days)!

After coming back to India when I met my (now wife) girl, as we were discovering each other, we found out that we both owned almost exactly same looking cameras (I had fz-15, she had fz-20) this was when we also found out that we both want to own a DSLR at some point and that we both are interested in photography.

So 2 wks ago I bit the bullet and got myself a K-30 !!! For me this is a huge thing as I am investing money equivalent to 80% of my entire salary for a month in this camera !!

But I am confident that I have made a good choice. Although everyone who I know in India and who knows little bit about photography has advised me against buying a Pentax in India and going for Canon or Nikon as it is "easier" with all the "support", But I did not listen to them and I will be depending on this community for all the "support" I need and if ever my camera needs any repairs I have bought the 3 year warranty and will send it to USA. I just hope I wont regret this later
Hi XENO,
Welcome to PENTAX. We are very soon launching the entire range of RICOH & PENTAX products in India. Would like to connect with you.

Thanks & Regards

Bishwarup
ril.info@ricoh.co.in

08-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxindia Quote
Hi XENO,
Welcome to PENTAX. We are very soon launching the entire range of RICOH & PENTAX products in India. Would like to connect with you.

Thanks & Regards

Bishwarup
ril.info@ricoh.co.in

I can be reached at herambah(at)hotmail(dot)com