Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

teach an old dog new tricks help

Hi well by way of introduction ( i am not a speller ) when I was a young man I enjoyed diane arbus, pier brenson, eugene smith, capra the rest of the 35 mm school ,etc. people were my focus, my style was a mix of smith and arbus
I had my spotmatic with screw mounted SMCT lenses which I got from a buddy returning from my war, Vietnam. My favorite, and I used it as my normal lens was the 28mm f2.8 I shot triX mostly developed my own film (d76 and microdol)and had a B&W darkroom which I would go in at sun set and often emerged at sunrise.
Then came marrage, kids and other stuff so sold off my darkroom, my camera broke.Now decades later the kids are out of the house I'm retired and film cameras are like vinyl records artifacts of the past analog age.
So I've been reading about the DSLRs and baby things sure have changed. anti shake, anti dust, histograms asa er ah iso to 6400 etc. and the cost of digital ( i'm scotish lol)

OK I got a lot to learn!!! and I need advise.
i was lreading about the the nikon d80 and cannon xti but I do not like the motorized lens and anti shake in the lens as well. I like what i read about the Pentax K10 the dust busting gaskets and ruggedness and other ease of use stuff but I was a bit dismayed over the lack of reported shaprness ( i was a stickler for sharp detailed prints detail in shadows and light areas sharp edges nothing soft ) I was also concerned about the noise aka grain ? at diffrent iso's when compaired to the d80 and xti again sharpness detail are important to me . They also said the metering is not as good as the d80 and that it tends to under expose and auto focus is not to good in available light( hey I 'm used to manual focusing and would probably continue that since I is probably quicker yes )?

now is a 10 megapixel camera as detailed as a 35mm when it comes to printing 8x12 11x16 prints? also does pentax make a digital equlivant of a 28mm 105mm lens thats is a good one at a reasonable price

the photo mags reviews seem to hedge there bets and their seems to be a biase against pentax but then again I'm paranoid( only kidding )

are these concerns real or are we splitting hairs

03-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no complaints about the quality of the images from my K10D. I have taken a few test shots using assorted lenses, including my 30 year old M series 400/5.6, and posted them at my Flickr site. The firemen shots are wide open with the DA* 16-50/2.8 (24-75 equivalent fov) in assorted lighting - street lights, house lights, flashing lights on fire trucks and patrol cars using an ISO setting of 1600 (max on the K10D).

Quite frankly, I cannot for the life of me understand why people are complaining about "noise" at high ISO.

You can check out the photos, and also check out the shooting forums at the bottom of the forms list, and look over some of the contest photos. From my pixel peeping, I feel confident that I can create 20x30 enlargements from my K10D images taken at reasonable ISO levels (say up to 400), and they will compare quite well against my film images.
03-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't know what your budget is, but if you're looking for top of the line, Pentax now has the K20D being released. Look into that as it's a significant step up from the K10D which was an EXCELLENT camera in it's own right.

The K10D can now be found for a bargain if you search, and there are plenty of pictures on this site that will show you the image quality of the K10D to compare with pictures take by those other cameras. You may also be able to find a site that has done a comparison on the various brands. That should help a lot.

I also strongly suggest you visit a shop and actually handle the cameras. Layout and logical placement of the various controls together with intuitive menu design may be an important factor to consider.