Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #1

New to digital, old to Pentax

I have used a Pentax K1000 SLR for many years. I'm trying to move into the digital age. I love my old camera. I need to know what I can do now, and I'm looking for help.

05-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... there's a few Pentax that one could suggest, but what type of photography are you planning to do with your new gear ... J
05-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, the leap of faith from film to digital is not as scary as you may think.

Be brave a go for it.
05-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Jean, I have always loved to do flower and other nature close ups. I used close up lenses. I can't get that with the inexpensive Kodak Share I bought.

05-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #5

I made the leap from Pentax film to digital recently, after becoming frustrated with Digital Point and Shoot cameras and wanting to control the image like when I do with my Pentax film cameras.

Do you mean you don't know if you should go digital? Or go Pentax Digital? Your old lenses will work with Pentax DSLRs - there are minor things to do to make that happen -- just search this forum and all the info is spelled out very clearly.

You will find it daunting if you do get a DSLR as opposed to an SLR for only a few moments, if I'm typical. (you're an "oldtimer" - I'm 47 - and have been a Pentax film camera owner since I was 12. Is that old?)

In some ways you have to relearn stuff, but in other ways it will very familiar and you will be able to do more with the image. I was really impressed with the ability to take photos without a flash - something nearly impossible with film cameras without fiddling with the ISO and telling the processor to "push process" the film, if you know what I mean.

Full manual mode (as with the K1000) is yours by selecting the "M" mode. And the metering on the DSLRs is better than the averaging meter you currently have. So fear not - there are others who are where you are now...and are glad to help. Just ask!

Last edited by Reliant K1000; 05-06-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Said "Teens" when actually I started when I was 12!
05-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oldtimer44 Quote
Hi Jean, I have always loved to do flower and other nature close ups. I used close up lenses. I can't get that with the inexpensive Kodak Share I bought.
Get a K-20D
05-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You can do anything you want ... and more .

It will be a little bit of a learning curve, but as long as you are willing to learn, nothing is hard. Same principles apply - aperture, shutter speed, ISO. The only added thing that you will have to take in consideration is the White Balance.
Shoot RAW rather than JPEG (RAW will be like the equivalent of film - allows you to do a better post post-processing).

Other than that ... is just a matter of getting use to the menus and their settings .

As camera wise ... any of the K5 versions, K-30 and K-01 will be a good purchase. Is just a matter of how much you want to invest in the body and reserve more for better glass.

The good part? Any of the above cameras can use all of your old lenses .

And welcome to the forums! .
05-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

If you shot slides, digital is a no brainer. Exposure settings are naturals. Add Lightroom to the mix and locate the AUTO buttons. Life is good.