Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #1

Hi from Boston (the original one)

Hi I am looking at buying a Pentax DSLR I was a Nikon user with a lot of kit but as I got older found it all to heavy to lug aroound so I decided to try 2/3rds and the new mirror less system. Have tried various models but ended up selling them on at present I have a Sony 5n and three lenses. It is a great camera but I just don't like using it. I have read some good reviews of the K5 & K5ii and I am contemplating buying one or do I go back to Nikon. It strikes me that Pentax seems to be focusing on making a camera for photographers rather that a fashionable gadget? Any thoughts Paul

05-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, there's lots of really good information on this site which may help you with your decision or not as the case may be.
05-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums. Personally I like the feel of Pentax in my hands and the smaller amount of weight than the Nikon's I have tried, but that is me
05-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... read about on the forum, maybe you can find the answers ... J

05-08-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
Yos
Veteran Member

I never owned a Nikon before but every time I try one in a store it doesn't feel right for me. Not sure if it's the plastic feeling in the beg versions, the weight in the semi and pro versions or the layout and ergonomics... Just read up on the K5 classic / K5II(s) here, go to a store that has the camera(s) you have in mind and just try them out. I knew I wanted a K-30 as soon as I held one. Sure, the K5II was also nice but I was and am on a budget... so it was an easy choice for me...
Just my two cents.
And not to forget, welcome to the forums Hope you will get your answers here

Cheers
Yos
05-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have put my toe in the water

Hi Thanks for all your replies.

Someone listed on ebay a K7 with the 55-300mm ED Lens & 18-55mm WR LENS for not much more than the lenses go for second hand so I decided to buy them. I realise the K5 ii has many improvements over the K7 but as I understand it the body is very much the same. Thought I could then have a play with the camera and if I take to it I can then get the K5 ii s body. If I don't I shouldn't take much of a hit if I resell. I feel surprisingly excited waiting for the camera to arrive, all the reviews I have read and watched lead me to be really hopeful that I have found my future camera system.

I will post my experiences once the camera arrives

Paul