Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

Hello from Florida!

Just wanted to say Hello and introduce myself. I've been a long time lurker and recently decided to join. I was introduced to Pentax by a fellow co-worker of mine a few years ago. At that time, I have already purchased a Samsung P&S. I remember him telling me that "If you ever decide to buy a new camera down the road, check out Pentax." A year or so ago, I almost bought the Nikon D7000 until that prior conversation about Pentax creeped into my mind.

My husband was set to buy me the K-5, but had to postpone because work and family stuff came up...plus, I didn't need the distraction while I was studying for my Registry Exam for Radiology. Passed my exam with flying colors, and at that time, the K-5 II/IIs was already released. Still didn't buy it because I was waiting for the D7100 release just out of curiosity.

I then rented the K-5 and Nikon D7100 from borrowlenses...and after a lot of thought, gave my husband the ok to purchase the K-5 II. I'm excited and can't wait to take it with me everywhere.

05-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, lurk no more and enjoy that new K-5 II.
05-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
Lens Advice?

Thanks! Anyone have any recommendations or advice with regards to lenses? My budget for lenses right now is around 1200 dollars. I don't mind purchasing something in the marketplace here.
05-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by peanutella Quote
Anyone have any recommendations or advice with regards to lenses?
Your going to need to provide a lot more information, to enable folk to give you anything worthwhile in terms of advice, help us to help you.

What do you like taking pictures of and under what conditions, how far away, manual or auto focus, new or second-hand.

Its a bit like saying right I've got the car now, any advice about something to tow behind it.

05-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to the forums ... enjoy the new K-5 II and hope to see some images soon ... J
05-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
I like shooting portraits, landscapes, nature. My husband offered to get me the 18-135 lens, but I told him that I'll look more into it. I was thinking of getting either the DA* 16-50 or the DA* 55.
05-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
I don't mind getting a decently priced secondhand DA* lens either.

05-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

There's lots of good info in the lens section of this forum that may help you with your decision.

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
05-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you!!
05-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like shooting portraits, landscapes, nature. My husband offered to get me the 18-135 lens, but I told him that I'll look more into it. I was thinking of getting either the DA* 16-50 or the DA* 55.

Hmm, I do not know the 18-135 first-hand, so I shan't comment on that. But, it sure sounds like your husband is a keeper....

Both the DA* that you cite are great lenses, IMO, and I'm using both.

I've recently fallen madly in love with the 55/1.4, as I'm a sucker for fast glass and primes...and the 55mm is spectacular. The DOF at f/1.4 is really shallow, though, but stopping down a bit and it's sharp as a whip, with a smoooooth bokeh that's just to die for.

I've been doing an awful lot of cat-portraits (yes, isn't that just sad...) to get to know the 55mm, and I'd say that for portraits and such it's really up there with the best of them. Plus, did I mention, it's an f/1.4, and a prime?

For landscapes, I think that the 16-50 might do the trick, but I'd probably grab the 15mm Ltd or 21mm Ltd instead. This is, quite frankly, because those two Limited are much much more compact than the 16-50 is for hiking around in landscapes [but they're not DA* so not weather sealed...]

I schlep the 16-50 along when I'm going to somewhere where photography is a tertiary activity - such as a picnic with friends, or some such thing. It's versatile, and takes great sharp pictures. It's just not what I grab for neither portraits nor landscapes.

Not sure if I'm helping or hurting your selection process here

Last edited by tclausen; 05-11-2013 at 05:27 PM.
05-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #11

Original Poster
Anyone know the time frame for orders placed on the pentaxwebstore??? Want to get a DA* 55, but I don't know if it will be here by may 24th....
05-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #12

New Forum member from near Atlanta

My first 35mm camera was a Mamiya-Sekor XTL. My second was a Pentax ME (with Pentax M f/1.7 50mm lens), which I bought in 1976. I've used Pentax bodies and glass ever since. I love the fact that the bodies, with some limitations, can use the older lenses. Two days ago I bought a K-5 ii, which replaces my K-20, which replaced my K-100D. The K-5 ii is a wonderful step up!
05-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Welcome to PentaxForums, and the world of Pentax cameras and lenses!

So, does your husband also have a camera?

Oh, and congratulations on passing the exam too!

Anyone know the time frame for orders placed on the pentaxwebstore??? Want to get a DA* 55, but I don't know if it will be here by may 24th....
I would reccommend Adorama or B&H. Either one will have the same price (and on some items better) and for some items the shipping is free. And to guess the delivery time I would have to say it would be within a week, maybe less.
05-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by georogers Quote
My first 35mm camera was a Mamiya-Sekor XTL. My second was a Pentax ME (with Pentax M f/1.7 50mm lens), which I bought in 1976. I've used Pentax bodies and glass ever since. I love the fact that the bodies, with some limitations, can use the older lenses. Two days ago I bought a K-5 ii, which replaces my K-20, which replaced my K-100D. The K-5 ii is a wonderful step up!
Welcome to the forum georogers ...J