Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #1

Greetings and Salutations!!

Over the weekend I picked up a Pentax ME and a few rolls of film from a neighbor for $20. I've wanted to get into photography. After a failed attempt at 35mm about a year ago after I bought a totally manual Zenit E off of Etsy, this seemed like a completely perfect opportunity to try again. I've always been interested in the tangibility of film, and I always imagined it to be incredibly gratifying.

I shot my first roll** over the weekend and took it to be developed after work on Monday. The thought that none of them may turn out at all made me want to crawl in a ball and quit life. It was the only thing I had to look forward to after having the worst Monday in the history of Mondays.

I tried peeking through the corner of the envelope when I picked up my photos. Oh no. They look dark, They look really dark. Oh no oh no oh no. I've had enough suspense at this point, and I pull them out. Oh, they were great! They were so great, and there are even a few that I am incredibly proud of! I've come from taking pictures on my iPhone.. I know nothing about aperture, only what my neighbor briefly explained to my while he was making the sell.

So now I'm not even sure where to begin! I've been looking at lenses on eBay, and I think I might look into a 28mm wide angle, a 135mm macro, and possible some telephoto zoom lens. And then there's filters?! Oh man! I want to know everything!

So from all you guys who know a thing or two about what you're doing, what kind of lenses and/or filters should I be looking into? What kind of beginner kit should I put together for myself? Lenses? Filters? What kinds of films are good to use? I'm sure there are plenty of variables that I'm not even aware of yet, as well.

I am looking forward to learning about all of the factors and combinations and tips and tricks and oh god I'm just so excited!

** I shot with the 50mm lens that came with the camera, and a roll of Fujifilm Superia-X TRA 400 color film.

05-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, btw that's a great intro.

If I were you, I would really continue with what you've got for a while. It will become more obvious as time goes by, what additional stuff you really need for your style of photography and for what your trying to achieve.

This may not be what you want to hear, nor do I wish to curb the excitement and the enthusiasm you have just now. But if your better informed as to your needs, you will make better decisions.

Good grief, I'm beginning to sound like my Father, please forgive me.
05-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... great intro and hope to see some images soon ... J