Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #1

Hi, new KII just arrived last week ! RAW processing Questions !

Hello, I am new to this forum and have just purchased a new K5II with the Pentax 50mm 1.4 lens.

I have the Pentax 18-55 kit lens , the Pentax DA 55-300 zoom, and the Tamron 10-20mm zoom from my K2000 Pentax I bought back in 2009. I also have the Pentax 360GL external flash.

I feel I am somewhat competent with the controls on the K2000, mostly using manual exposure or aperture/shutter priority .

I found the K2000 a little difficult to focus manually, I missed the split focusing screen on my old Minolta XD-11 !

I also found the jpeg images from the K2000 a little lacking in detail , and I am now concentrating on shooting RAW and spending more time mastering RAW post processing.

In closing, my question is this : is Lightroom the way to go for RAW post processing, or is there a "beginner" program for a somewhat competent amateur photographer like myself who just wants the best quality from his RAW files ?

I appreciate your forum, and thanks for reading this, Pentaxians !

Many Happy Exposures,

Brooks Davis

05-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am an amateur photographer and I find Lightroom 4 to be a good beginner program to edit my Raw files. Not only that Lightroom 4 will also help sorting your picture library and with a lot of other different feature that come in handy. Why not download the 30 day trial and see if it's something for you?
After that you can decide if it's worth 149 Usd.

And before I forget, welcome to the forum
05-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There really are 10 threads of this question in the digital processing forum.

You just need to dig around for an hour or two. You will get all the same answers, which are:

Lightroom
Photoshop varieties
Elements
Gimp
FastStone
other stuff
and the guy who loves PDCU for some reason:-)

Welcome aboard.

Oh, Elements does all I need and more for processing, does tags for basic organization.
05-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
I am an amateur photographer and I find Lightroom 4 to be a good beginner program to edit my Raw files. Not only that Lightroom 4 will also help sorting your picture library and with a lot of other different feature that come in handy. Why not download the 30 day trial and see if it's something for you?
After that you can decide if it's worth 149 Usd.

And before I forget, welcome to the forum
Yos, Thanks.....and HOWDY from Houston, Texas !

I will download Lightroom 4 trial version, and play with it, I just want to get a little more efficient with RAW files .

Your country is on our "bucket list" of visits in the years to come ! I'm bringing the Pentax !

Thanks, Yos

Brooks Davis

05-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
Yos
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelydanfan Quote
Yos, Thanks.....and HOWDY from Houston, Texas !

I will download Lightroom 4 trial version, and play with it, I just want to get a little more efficient with RAW files .

Your country is on our "bucket list" of visits in the years to come ! I'm bringing the Pentax !

Thanks, Yos

Brooks Davis
Let me know when you are planning to go to Sweden
Might be able to help you with things to do here and I wouldn't mind showing you around if you happen to drop by whichever city I might be staying in at that time!
Cheers
Yos
05-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I think Lightroom is a fantastic option, I switched to it recently and can't believe how good it is
05-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, another vote for Lightroom 4.

It's a great piece of software, has almost become the industry standard, it's not hugely expensive and it has very powerful file management tools.
05-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... another nod for Lightroom and hope to see some images soon ... J