Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New here from Penang, Malaysia

I own quite a bit of photogear - a Canon 30D, 35 f2, 100 f2, 70-200 f4L, 18-55 IS and a 17-40 f4L, 10-22 f3.5-4.5

What am I doing here? Well I just bought a Pentax K100 Super + kit lens + 40mm f2.8 limited for travel use. While the Canon gear is not exactly heavy, it is definitely bulky for travel purpose. Yes I can just bring the 18-55 kit lens and a 35 f2 for this purpose, which is fairly small, but the 30D is rather a big SLR and I'll rather not buy the Canon 400D for this purpose. I am interested in getting several of the limited Pentax pancake lens for general use and small in size relative to the Canon series lens. So here I am joining here for more info on Pentax gear.
Specifically, I am thinking of the Pentax 21mm + 40mm + 70mm for this purpose. Not too interested in duplicating what I have in my Canon, since that will defeat the reason why I am getting the Pentax - small and convenient kit. I must say I like the kit lens - so solidly built compared to the cheap looking Canon kit lens. I am also going to sell of the 17-40L since I don't really use it that much.

The canon is great when you want to take action photos ( at 5 frame/sec! ) with the ultra silent USM with the 70-200 zoom, but it is rather large to take on holiday.

Tipsy

03-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Careful now! There is more than one Canon fan in these forums that tried a Pentax and ended up selling all their Canon gear.

Seriously, you'll enjoy the Pentax I think. The lens choices you've made are great and will prove ideal for the vast majority of your shots.

Welcome to the Dark Side!
03-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Careful now! There is more than one Canon fan in these forums that tried a Pentax and ended up selling all their Canon gear.

Seriously, you'll enjoy the Pentax I think. The lens choices you've made are great and will prove ideal for the vast majority of your shots.

Welcome to the Dark Side!
Well...I hope not! The main issues with Pentax is the lack of long lenses. However as for the Dark Side, I don't really think so. For Canon - the "Dark Side" is Nikon since they compete on similar market. Pentax niche is small nice primes. At this point I am not going to buy big long lenses for Pentax - Just 2 or 3 small primes for general use. I am going to miss ultrawide lenses - the offering is Canon's 10-22 lens which I would say is incredibly good - and I obtained many fantastic photos with it.

I would maybe say Pentax as the "Yellow Side" - bright and cheerful?

tipsy
03-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I look forward to seeing some beautiful pictures from your travels!

03-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #5

You will enjoy your Pentax gear. I have the 40mm limited and, while I have not used it a lot, I really like it. I hope to be back in Penang again next year and will have a tough time deciding what gear to bring. Looking forward to some posts from you once you start using your Pentax. My latest photos from over there are from 2004.
03-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Introductory Photos

Hi,

I have uploaded some introductory photos, unfortunately all taken with my Canon camera ( currently 30D ) and many of them with the Canon 10-22. It's one incredible lens - I hope Pentax will have similar without the horrible price. Hope you enjoy the photos!

Tipsy