Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

LCD ViewFinders for K01

Got the K01 not too long ago. This camera is heavily understated; a great camera with excellent IQ; and a perfect complement for K5 owners who like a second camera, especially for video. However it can be tricky and difficult taking pictures outdoor under bright sunlight; almost like shooting blind. The pictures will still turn out quite amazingly good; but it is impossible to compose under such conditions.

I have looking at various LCD viewfinder alternatives: Varavon multifinder (~$230), Swivi VF-3 Universal (~$95) and more recently the Opteka vf20 (~$50). Haven't tried anyone of them; but the Varavon and Swivi LCD viewfinders certainly look good and should fit the K01. Understand this VF is priced at around $50; which makes it quite attractive. There is not much information on the web on this; other than a few picture shots at Amazon.com. Doesn't quite look like it will be versatile enough to cover different type cameras and DSLRs; but they seem to suggest it would work on Pentax DSLRs. I wonder which model and how the Opteka vf20 can actually be adjusted to fit the K01.

Has anyone tried the Opteka vf20?

05-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

I use a Hoodman instead of any permanent or semipermanent OVF. I let it hang around my neck and just put it on the LCD when needed. This keeps the camera as small as possible.
05-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad to hear your enjoying the K-01.
05-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
Just received the Swivi LCD VF-3. Not sure if it is just the one that I received, but finish of the Swivi VF is not as good as I had expected. The VF does make the camera bulkier, but that's expected. It fits and works nicely with the K01, and certainly makes composing and picture taking with the K01 under bright sunlight a lot easier. The VF also helps stabilize the camera when taking pictures, removing the blurring effects caused by unsteady hands. Also, with a zoom lens, the K01 is transformed into an impressive and highly capable still/ video camera. Worth adding the LCD VF as an accessory to the K01.