Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello everybody! Salut tout le monde! Ola a todos os usuarios do forum!

Hello/salut/ola!

First time in a photography forum.....Really happy to be here and be part of your community "The pentaxians" . Just bought a k-5 to use on my mushroom hunting and stargazing hobbies. Very happy with it so far. The weather resistant feature and magnesium alloy solid body really tipped the balance into choosing pentax rather then any other of its main concurrents. The ratio quality/cost/features is unbeatable, compared to the other products in the market. Im a run into the woods while its poring down and really muddy slippery and dirty. Really dense woods are really difficult to navigate if you are carrying non resistant material to shock or water. Now i can progress without worrying about my material and focus on the task ..search and retrieval eheheheh! No all i need its a decent fast macro lenses and a zoom lenses. I prefer manual to lenses as i like to control the focus plane and change it as i feel it as fast and with minimal body movement. Thinking on getting a M42 adapter and on a pentax wr lenses..any suggestions ? By the way attached to the camera, at this moment i have the Kit lenses 18-55mmwr (a slow lenses not so sharp, but nice for landscapes and panorama stitching. By the way Linux rules!!!! ---hugin for panoramas; luminanceHDR;GIMP;rawtherapee;ufraw;darktable; any ideas on tether control software?

05-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum! I wish I had some woodland nearby to wander out and about... About your lenses - I suggest you to grab Pentax D FA 100mm WR lens. Myself I try to play a little with some weird lenses hehe but If I were you I would definitely go for weather resistant stuff! ( I will probably end up buying the same lens in the end anyway :P)

Good mushroom hunting !
05-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your new K-5 while your busy on your activities.
05-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your new K-5 while your busy on your activities.
Thanks kerrowdown! I noticed that youre from the loch ness area? Well i know the area a bit as i lived in the area for a year or so ... Drumnadrochit or lewinston to be more precise...really nice place for hicking and crazy parties!!eheheh the views from the hills around the lake are amazing (planted trees during a summer job in the area) , urquhart castle, the woods, forest, fauna etc... nice place.Any suggestions for a nice lens to use in a dark woods(penumbra ) ?thanks.

05-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Welcome to the forum! I wish I had some woodland nearby to wander out and about... About your lenses - I suggest you to grab Pentax D FA 100mm WR lens. Myself I try to play a little with some weird lenses hehe but If I were you I would definitely go for weather resistant stuff! ( I will probably end up buying the same lens in the end anyway :P)

Good mushroom hunting !
Thanks manntax for your suggestions on the 100mm lenses ... here in france i get a lot of old Pentacon lenses in the 2nd hand market ...are they any good?
05-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stargazer Quote
Thanks kerrowdown! I noticed that youre from the loch ness area? Well i know the area a bit as i lived in the area for a year or so ... Drumnadrochit or lewinston to be more precise...really nice place for hicking and crazy parties!!
That sounds like something down kerrodown's alley.....both "crazy" and "parties"

QuoteQuote:
eheheh the views from the hills around the lake are amazing (planted trees during a summer job in the area) , urquhart castle, the woods, forest, fauna etc... nice place.Any suggestions for a nice lens to use in a dark woods(penumbra ) ?thanks.
Funny you should mention that. I spend a nice afternoon walking in a dark forest today, and my go-to's were (in order of frequency) the 31Ltd, the 55/1.4 and the 35/2.8 macro (for, well, macro shots). So, I'd suggest "a fast lens".....
05-17-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... nice intro and please post some images soon ... Salut, J
05-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
both "crazy" and "parties"
Rock & roll, lead on my man, I have a cairry-oot.

05-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by stargazer Quote
Drumnadrochit or Lewiston to be more precise
I'm just outside Drum, possibly living up behind your employer for that summer season.

I'd recommend a fast 50 to do the job your looking for.