Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New Member, Long-time Lurker

Just making my introduction here. I've been around lurking on all the photography forums here and there but I wanted to make this one my home. I've been a Pentaxian for many years, starting when I was in college and my dad gave me his ME Super to use in my art classes. I used the heck out of that little camera and it still sits on proud display on the mantle of retired cameras. I took a break for a while and bought a P&S but it was never as satisfying for me to use and I purchased a Pentax ZX-7. Loved to use that camera but then digital technology came along and I swore to NEVER go digital. As we all know that changed one winter day while I was attempting to take a photo of my daughter for a Christmas card. My husband used his little Canon Elph digital and I used the ZX-7; long story short, his camera got a photo of her actually looking at the camera and smiling and mine got a whole roll of her blinking, not looking at the camera, not smiling, smiling too much, reaching down to touch the snow, but never a good portrait of her. I was so mad. Purchased my *istDS after Christmas and never looked back. I always know if I got the shot now and being able to get instant feedback from the camera has helped me learn much more about taking pictures than film and a notebook ever did. It's been a joy to use and now I have a minor case of LBA to go with it.

I'm looking forward to sharing with you folks and picking up a few tips and tricks here and there!

03-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #2

Hi MacGirl and a very warm welcome.

My husband and I swore we'd never go digital. Made the switch a few years ago and haven't looked back. Great having the instant feedback from the camera. Being able to do our own prints is another big plus.

What lens are you thinking of getting. you have a nice set of lenses. Good luck with your picture taking.

Nice talking to another female who's into photography.

Amanda.
03-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Glad to hear you decided to stop lurking Welcome aboard and look forward to seeing pictures from your neck of the woods.
03-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both for the warm welcomes!

Pentaxlady, I'm looking for something fast (f2.8 or better) to capture low-light indoor activities for my 6 year-old. I'm thinking a focal range in the 100's will suffice? If I can find a good deal on a used 135mm prime, maybe that, if not, then I may look at the DA 100, or if dreams could come true, the DA*50-135. Not in a big hurry but I "know" I need a faster lens for short to mid range telephoto shots.

03-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard,this place is much more fun than lurking.
03-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #6

MacGirl, got to be the 50-135, wouldn't mind one of these myself - anyone got a spare one going

Amanda.
03-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
dbh
Inactive Account

First off I'd like to echo the welcomes.

QuoteOriginally posted by MacGirl Quote
looking for a nice fast medium range telephoto prime...
From what you wrote, I'd bet you'd love the DA70 f2.4 limited. Small, unobtrusive, fast, quick focusing and lovely sharp resolution.

--
dbh - got one and love it.
03-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
dbh, thanks for the suggestion of the DA70. I've been reading and researching for something that will fulfill my need and I'd love to have a "limited" lens but I just can't figure out what I think I need. I go from wanting to upgrade my camera body to a K20D to wanting faster lenses and back. I would really love to get a medium telephoto prime for low-light shots of my daughter when she's in programs at school and maybe some soccer shots, just wonder if they're long enough. I love my 50mm and feel I could easily shoot primes.....of course I need to work on my technique too!

03-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MacGirl Quote
dbh, thanks for the suggestion of the DA70. I've been reading and researching for something that will fulfill my need and I'd love to have a "limited" lens but I just can't figure out what I think I need. I go from wanting to upgrade my camera body to a K20D to wanting faster lenses and back. I would really love to get a medium telephoto prime for low-light shots of my daughter when she's in programs at school and maybe some soccer shots, just wonder if they're long enough. I love my 50mm and feel I could easily shoot primes.....of course I need to work on my technique too!
Hmmm perhaps the new 200mm f2.8 would be more along the lines of what you might like for some sports shooting. I can't endorse it as I have not even seen one yet.

Have fun shopping!
--
dbh - that DA70 shore iz nice tho...
03-27-2008, 01:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

MacGirl, welcome! I think the D FA 100 Macro would make a fine prime medium telephoto (it's on my LBA list near the top), but I can also endorse the DA* 50-135mm, which I bought with my K10D a few months ago. A modern Pentax classic, and quite flexible in use, it's my main digital lens.

BTW, are you, as your username suggests, also a Mac girl?
03-27-2008, 05:54 AM   #11

Original Poster
dbh, yeah that 200 looks very nice but for the money I'd rather have a new camera body. I don't think I'd use that lens that much, but who knows.....

christinelandon, thanks for your comments also. I've been looking at the 100 mm also and it's on my list of maybe's, but that 50-135 looks so good too. Decisions, decisions! And yes, I am a MacBook Pro girl! I've loved Mac's since my college days which was in the early 90's.