Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #1

A new DSLR USER

Hi I have just started photography and have a Nikon D3100 I know this is a Pentax site but i wanted information about M42 lenses as I am on a tight budget and want to get some and us manual mode to get into photography . I have bought a couple of m42 lenses and adapters to fit my Nikon. If anyone can give me any suggestions as best practice and tips on use of these old lenses , it will be gratefully received.

05-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I'm not a M42 man, but just hold on someone who is will be along shortly.
05-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Learn the Sunny 16 rule. If you didn't buy an adapter with corrective lenses then stay close to your subject because you won't have infinity focus.
05-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kibbsnk Quote
Hi I have just started photography and have a Nikon D3100 I know this is a Pentax site but i wanted information about M42 lenses as I am on a tight budget and want to get some and us manual mode to get into photography . I have bought a couple of m42 lenses and adapters to fit my Nikon. If anyone can give me any suggestions as best practice and tips on use of these old lenses , it will be gratefully received.
M42 lenses are not necessarily inexpensive and will likely involve a significant amount of compromise with your Nikon. I believe the camera won't even meter at all, so you'd be working in the complete dark so to speak. Nikons do have a pretty solid range of backwards compatibility themselves, so you might want to look at the older non-auto focus lenses that are chipped so you can still have metering. I'm not really familiar with the full range of compatibility, but if you haven't already check out Nikon's page here:

Nikon | Imaging Products | Lens Compatiblity - Nikon D3100

and then maybe hit up ebay and Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com to find some used lenses that fit your budget.

The viewfinder for the d3100 is also going to be pretty dim, so you'll want to stick with faster aperture lenses if they can fit in your budget - otherwise you're going to find manual focus extremely difficult. A chipped lens will also give you focus confirmation (again, refer to Nikon's chart in the link above), which will help some with manual focus.

05-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
hi thanks for the tip , I did order a adapter with the lens in it as well as one without to see which i prefer as I want to get into macro shots .