Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi from Sunny Arizona!

Hi! I'm Marc..
I'm the proud owner of a Pentax K5.
My photography interests vary from landscapes, nature, macro and astro-photography. I especially favor deep, aperture-priority images.
I'm just starting out in the area of astro-imaging.. and hope to learn a lot here at the Forum..

05-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... the K-5 is great and post us some images soon .. J
05-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, a good mix of photography interests to keep you K-5 busy.
06-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you all! I have posted a few images on the Astrophotography area for the K5. Wow - 2 places I really would like to visit: France and Scotland!
Time for haggis and Calvados! -- Marc

Here is a Springtime shot, and my cat [portrait]: 'Scampers' ...

Attached Images

Last edited by Suhndog; 06-06-2013 at 06:38 AM.
06-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice shots, and welcome to the forum! I bet Scampers gets lots of portraits. I know my dog does.

There are quite a few forum members who also live in Arizona, including the site administrator, Adam. It's a wonderful place for photographers to live. What part of Arizona are you in?
06-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Scratchpaddy.. I live in the town of Payson, at 5,000 ft. elevation. Sometime next year I hope to move to Tonto Basin [elev. 2,200 ft.]. I've been doing photography since high school, where I won a few state-wide photo competitions, although I never entered them myself, my teachers did, and the rest was a surprise! I'm just now starting to learn the basics of astro-photography..
Here's my very 1st. ever astro photo [of Jupiter]:
Attached Images

06-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Suhndog Quote
Time for haggis and Calvados
Aye but not together.

It should be a good large unmeasured. single malt of your choice with haggis.
06-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Suhndog Quote
Hi Scratchpaddy.. I live in the town of Payson, at 5,000 ft. elevation. Sometime next year I hope to move to Tonto Basin [elev. 2,200 ft.]. I've been doing photography since high school, where I won a few state-wide photo competitions, although I never entered them myself, my teachers did, and the rest was a surprise! I'm just now starting to learn the basics of astro-photography..
Here's my very 1st. ever astro photo [of Jupiter]:
Wow! How long of a focal length did you have to use to get that? I almost managed to get a good picture of the moon, once. I don't think a lot of people realize how difficult that stuff is.

I'm a little jealous of you out there in the mountains. It's always about 20 cooler up there in the summer. On the other hand, we don't have to deal with snow down here in the valley...

I just went on a hike a little ways up the road from Pine the weekend before last, on Clover Creek in the West Clear Creek wilderness. It's so beautiful out there! I don't even mind the two-hour drive to get there. If you like hiking, we should get together sometime.

This was on Clover Creek. As I said, my dog gets lots of portraits.

06-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
LOL.. I was referring to the 2 beginning posts.. One from France and the other from Scotland.. Yes, I would never have Calvados with Haggis! Eeks!
I got a bit carried away .. my Jupiter shot was not with my K5 [sorry!] - but I'm hoping to buy an O-GPS1 and do some imaging!
I lived in Phoenix for a long time [13 years], and I love the hot weather! The mountains are nice in that you get both the heat [in summer] and at night, the temp. goes into the 50-60's..
Tonto Basin is warmer [folks say hot!!], but I've always adjusted better to hotter climes.
Wow! That's a really great picture of your dog! the composition is super! - the entire image tells a story of 'adventure' - as exemplified by your dog's face and body language!
BTW, I used an Orion StarShoot 4 Color Planetary Camera [with my Apertura AD10 10" DOB Telescope] for the Jupiter shot. Then used Autostakkert 2 and Corel PaintShop 4 for post-processing.