Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #1

Newbie with Pentax Q

Hello,

After months of research and playing around with different cameras I decided on and purchased a Pentax Q and I'm considering a K30 as well. I don't see many resources available, such as books, compared to other camera brands, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get lots of info here . One question: I recently read that the Q was discontinued by Pentax. If that's true, does anyone know if lenses and other accessories will be phased out right away or will they still be available for awhile. There are 1 or 2 lenses I am interested in getting, as well as the polarizing filter. Also, can anyone recommend a book for someone relatively knew to SLR cameras? I know the basics but would love to go beyond the basics. Any recommendations and any info/suggestions/ideas/thoughts on the Q, please let me know. Thanks everyone! I look forward to being a part of your online community!

Best,

Vince

05-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy your Q, which is now "Q10" ... and post a sample image or two soon ... J

PS - forgot to mention that the same lenses work on the Q & Q10 ... https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-q10.html
05-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that Q.
05-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Vince and welcome. The Q is a great little camera, and better than its small sensor might suggest to some. As others have said, the lenses continue to be developed by Pentax, even though the Q has been replaced by the Q10.

There are several good general books on digital photography and on DSLRs in particular. Depending on what you want, just about any of Tom Ang's books are well worthwhile reading, although his Digital Photography Step by Step is a good starter. If you want more advanced reading, then Digital Photography Masterclass is an excellent publication of its type. I don't have any of them, but apparently even the Dummies books are said to be good starter books.

05-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vince31 Quote
Hello,

After months of research and playing around with different cameras I decided on and purchased a Pentax Q and I'm considering a K30 as well. I don't see many resources available, such as books, compared to other camera brands, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get lots of info here . One question: I recently read that the Q was discontinued by Pentax. If that's true, does anyone know if lenses and other accessories will be phased out right away or will they still be available for awhile. There are 1 or 2 lenses I am interested in getting, as well as the polarizing filter. Also, can anyone recommend a book for someone relatively knew to SLR cameras? I know the basics but would love to go beyond the basics. Any recommendations and any info/suggestions/ideas/thoughts on the Q, please let me know. Thanks everyone! I look forward to being a part of your online community!
Best,
Vince
Welcome and congratulations on the Q and future K-30! I have had the K-30 for several months now and it is a great camera. I have also had a Q for a short time and I'm having fun with it. As Jean said the the second generation Q10 has replaced the Q, from what I've read there's not a lot of differences. The good news is that Pentax has hinted that the Q line is going to be developed further, so I would expect more lenses. There are all kinds of third party accessories for the Q also. I've bought a lens adapter to use my K-mount lenses, a viewfinder that fits over the rear display to help in bright sun, lens hood, and just ordered a circular polarizer. I hope to buy the fish eye next.

I think you can get more know how here than out of a book, because you are getting actual user experience. I'm not knocking the authors, but they may not have a lot of real world experience with the camera they are writing about. Plus you can get critique on photos, ask about real techniques or problems, and offer solutions to others. This is a helpful website.