Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New to Pentax and DSLR

Good forward to getting a lot of good advice from the forum. Just got a Pentax K30 kit with 18-55 lens. I have an old Canon film SLR but just now moving to DSLR. I have to learn fast, as first grandchild is on the way.

05-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by am1wayfarer Quote
Good forward to getting a lot of good advice from the forum. Just got a Pentax K30 kit with 18-55 lens. I have an old Canon film SLR but just now moving to DSLR. I have to learn fast, as first grandchild is on the way.
Well, you're in luck! dSLRS are not that much different than their film counterparts (IMO).
Great choice of camera by the way! I have never used the K30 but I've heard good things about it. Good luck to you!
05-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A quick look

Thanks Bcray3. I am pretty impressed by what I have seen so far on the K-30 and a lot of what I learned from the SLR does carry over.
05-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, photography is still photography no matter whether it's film or digital, the skills sets are interchangeable.

Just as well I'm too old to relearn everything.

05-29-2013, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... the K-30 is great from what I read ... and please post us an image or two soon ... J
05-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jean and kerrowdown - appreciate the international greetings. Traveling abroad soon and hope to get something interesting to post.
05-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from a happy K-30 owner. Shoot and read the forums, learn, and repeat. Keep shooting, shoot in tough conditions, harsh sun, indoors, night, everything you can think of and learn the limitation of the lens, strength, etc. Digital is a lot more versatile that film, but basics are the same. You've got a head start on a lot of people, but you can still learn a lot about the camera here.

05-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the grandbaby! This is a good place to learn, and post your stuff. The monthly contests are difficult to judge because there are so many entries, but that is one of the reasons it's fun, you get to see so many others work. sort of gives you encouragement for your own stuff. Enjoy!
05-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. Surely you will enjoy the lovely K-30. Make sure you check out the TAv mode, once you get used to it you will not want to use any camera which does not have that mode.
06-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks

I appreciate the warm welcome. Will take your advice, keep shooting away and closely follow the forum. Much appreciate the warm welcome.